Sealant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
alright well i know this isnt the right forum, but i dont think to many people look at enclosures etc.

i just used some bathroom sealant to seal down a piece of tile in my tank, it is on the cool side and not under the heat lamp. i use this side to feed him on while the other is washed/sifted/baked play sand. I just used the GE silicone type I for kitchen and bathroom and noticed that the back of the label says do not use in aquariums. . . im assuming this would be referring to actual fish tanks, that hold water. . .

it says to let it cure for 24 hours and during the curing process it gives up acitic acid fumes or something, so i have a lil space heater in the tank to help it along. my BD is not in the tank and is sleeping on my bed.

is this going to be okay to have in the tank after it cures?

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
I have used regular household silicone to re-silicone aquariums.. Now the stuff I used didn't say not to use in aquariums...

The stuff I have used in the past is fine as long as you let it dry completely, not just cure. Just be careful that there is no smell at all by the time you put your baby in there!

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
alright, thats kinda what i was planning. . . i figured if i leave the space heater on for a few hours it should speed things along just fine. . . i just want my yoshi to be nice and comfortable. i had found some lil worms or something in his substrate and kinda freaked out. Im thinking it could be from the sand since i didnt bake it the 1st time, or possibly from the crickets that i dump in. I could have dropped in an egg or 2 and it might have been a tiny pin head cricket. . .

but back to the subject at hand, i should be fine as long as it drys completely and i dont have an oder

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
It should be.. check your container again to be sure it's non-toxic...

Also, just about any loose type substrate can harbor bacteria/parasites/mites and can hide possible baby crickets.. just something to keep in mind..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom