Dad's feeding wild insects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grixxly15

Gray-bearded Member
If you don't like reading just skip to the tl;dr version

So I woke up off of the floor and went to the bathroom did all I had to do and get ready for school and stuff. When I walk back into my room I notice a rather large spider cricket (aka camel/cave cricket) this is probably one the the biggest I have ever seen :shock: right in the corner of hunters tank. I open up his tank and quickly grab the spider cricket and just tossed him on the floor. I'm thankful that hunter did not eat the cricket. I was mad because of how it got in there. I sort of go downstairs and accuse my dad of putting it in there and well turns out he did. I question why he did it and he yelled at me :x He does not understand the dangers that insects found inside the house can have on domestic lizards no matter how many times I tell him. The thing that really bothers me is how many insects he has fed hunter behind my back and never knew about it. I'm sure because of my dad hunter has consumed many spiders, centipedes, cicadas, crickets, etc. I'm scared to ask him because he will start yelling again :x

tl;dr version:
My dad may be feeding wild insects to my bearded dragon and it really bothers me because he does not understand the dangers that lurk in wild insects.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Oh my that isnt good.Could you just politely sk him not to feed him wild bugs anymore and then explain why without actually yelling at him for having done it already.He may feel less threatened this way.Maybe you should print out this thread and leave it lying around so he can see how upset you are about it or do you think that would anger him?

Seig

Hatchling Member
As a Dad, I know how you both feel.

Here's a suggestion.

"Dad, beardys really have sensitive digestive systems. I know you mean well, but you may have accidentally made him sick with what you thought were treats. Would you mind taking him to the vet to make sure he's ok?"

Dad's hate getting hit in the wallet.

Signed

1st National Walking Bank of Dad

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
Seig":2e568 said:
As a Dad, I know how you both feel.

Here's a suggestion.

"Dad, beardys really have sensitive digestive systems. I know you mean well, but you may have accidentally made him sick with what you thought were treats. Would you mind taking him to the vet to make sure he's ok?"

Dad's hate getting hit in the wallet.

Signed

1st National Walking Bank of Dad

haha QFT!

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Guilt.. Aww you made him sick, Daddy!!

I had a know-it-all, conspiracy-theorist, stubborn dads (and those were his best qualities - not to say this is your dad, by any means).. the only way I got anywhere with him (being the only girl in the home) was through guilt! If he thought I was going to cry, he wouldn't do whatever it was he was doing!

Ok, so I'm not saying to cry.. but it might just work :wink:
If not, pout. It always worked for me...

Good luck.. as an adult now, I know how hard it is to be told that you're wrong from someone younger! Heck, its hard being told you're wrong by anyone!

So, if the irrational things don't work, show him you have done serious research. Site this board, and there are tons of other resources out there that say to avoid wild-caught insects. Print out a dozen of them and try and sit and have a mature discussion with him.

I hope everything works out for you and your beardie!

renich

Juvie Member
yikes. i feel your pain. dads typically don't like to take advice from their children.

everyone has great ideas. in all seriousness, i think if you calmly explain the remifications if your bd gets a disease from a wild insect or eats one that is not part of his diet, that your bd could die or become very sick. i think if you do some homework and provide your dad with some research backing this statement up. you may get him to understand and be very proud of you for being so responsible.

i would go to some of the universities web sites. they have done ample studies and provide results on this topic.

good luck and let us know if your dad comes around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom