Shipping help

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarDaddy

My replacement beardie was shipped to me Friday, via USPS parcel post. Well no one was home when the postman showed up on Saturday, so they left a tag and took it to the post office.

Poor guy has been in the box since Friday, over night temps have been in the low 50's around here. My wife is going to pick it up first thing in the morning, going to put it on its basking spot.

What else should we do for the little guy that has had such a rough weekend?

It should be about 12 weeks old +/- a few weeks

WarDaddy

Original Poster
My son just called me (he is 7). The Beardie is alive Daddy! I was going to name him "sinkers" because I was sure he would be dead, but instead I want to name him "Miracle", because he made it through the weekend!

nesta's mommy

Sub-Adult Member
glad to hear that your little guy is okay!!

i would give a nice warm bath whenever you get a chance, dehydration is common in babies. and i'm sure there's been a little bit of stress caused by the cooler temps... on the basking spot, nice warm bath, maybe a waxworm or two as a treat!!!

renich

Juvie Member
that is great news! i'm glad the little guy made it.

i don't have much more to add to nesta's mommy's great advice. give him some time and he'll bounce back.

WarDaddy

Original Poster
he made it home safe, and loes to bask. He stands tall watching us all watch him.

When I got home from work I tossed in a couple of the smaller crickets I could catch...he darted across the cage to catch one. It was a bit on the large side, but he got it down. Back to basking, looking stuffed and happy to be out of the box.

3 more smaller crickets running around in there if he wants a snack :)

I ordered 100 1/4 inch crickets today, and will give my over grown ones to the neighbor who has a mature Beardie a few doors down.

renich

Juvie Member
sounds good. they are entertsining to watch.

did you catch crickets from your yard?

since your neighbor has one, you are probably aware of this, but i thought i'd mention it. make sure the food is no larger than the space between his eye. bd under a year run the risk of impaction if their food is too large.

keep us posted on how he is doing.

WarDaddy

Original Poster
I purchased the crickets about a month ago, when he was originally going to ship me the replacement. They have grown. I am working trying to feed the smallest. I have a new order of 1000 1/4" crickets on the way. Should be here today or tomorrow.

The Dubia Colony is growing, I have had them a month or so.

renich

Juvie Member
gotcha. i had a visual of you catching them in your backyard. lol...
and who knows what diseases they would carry. :)

WarDaddy

Original Poster
he seems pretty lethargic. Should a 10 week old beardie be active, or pretty mellow?

I have not seen him eat any of the new crickets this evening :(

Although he did make some moves like he may have been hunting one or two.

renich

Juvie Member
it could be relocation stress. he did have quite the journey.

couple of things:
1. what kind of lighting do you have?
2. what are the temps and what are you using to get the temps?
3. what substrate are you using?
4. is anyone home during the day? if so, has he been lethargic all day?
5. did he eat yesterday? how many crickets?
6, has he had a bath?
7. when was the last time he pooped?

WarDaddy

Original Poster
sounds like he has been pretty lazy.

I have a 75 watt heat bulb, on a dimmer to make his basking spot about 105.
I also have a 10.0 UV florescent.

Not sure how many crickets he has eaten, there are a about a dozen running around in the cage, now.

I have given him 2 baths, short, about 5 min while the water is warm, then he licks moisture off my hand. My son also has him lick moisture off his hand every morning before school.

I think he has has 1 poop a day so far.

Substrate is just ceramic tile.

renich

Juvie Member
it could be relocation stress. it can last a couple of weeks. keep up the baths. they can soak for 15-20 min. in warm bath water.

as far as the crickets, it's recommended to put the crickets in there for 10min and remove them after 10 min.

oh, whose make is your 10.0 - reptisun or reptiglo

WarDaddy

Original Poster
Wow, a couple weeks. He does not look like he has enough meat on him to last that long.

Catch them afer 10 minutes... OH MY. I will do my best (such a good Cub Scout leader)

I think it is a ReptiSun 10.0 It is about 8 inches about the basking spot.

little guy seems to have trouble getting traction on the tiles, I may have to do something about that. Maybe I will just flip them over :)

thanks for you help!

renich

Juvie Member
lol..yep, leaving the crickets in there can stress the little guys out. it has also been said that the crickets will nibble on the beardie and could eat a hole in their eyelid if left in while the beardie is sleepng!

we have aided the cricket population in our yard. we don't save the ones that bernie doesn't eat. my hubby catches them and throws them outside.

renich

Juvie Member
oh, he may be too young for the tile. we have tile now, but used reptile carpet the first year. you can use papertowels too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom