A message to all please read, etiquette to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mommy of Sunny

Juvie Member
Unfortunately, we are not experts when we start out with a new pet. We can learn as much as we can beforehand, but usually, it is experience that makes us good at being a better parent.

We make a lot of mistakes along the way. Hopefully they are not real bad ones...

But it is so nice to have people there to help you out, encourage you, guide you, and then praise you.

We are all here for the same reason (hopefully) and that is because we all love our beardies and want to share our experiences (and pictures...hint hint) with each other.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Wonderful post Poisoned :D .
I do believe most of us here try to be polite and understanding but there have been occasions when emotions run first and foremost and this is a great reminder that everyone should respond how they would expect to be responded to.I agree sometimes the intent is lost in the words so it is even more important for everyone to not only read carefully but to write carefully before responding and to understand that many who come here truly want whats best but they dont know what "best" is.Its our job as the "big brothers and sisters" of the beardie world to gently educate and guide people into understanding.Lets all keep an open mind,and let the information flow freely back and forth after all thats how we ALL learn.

This was a great post. Everyone I've run into on this site has been absolutely wonderful so far but you know what they say, one bad apple spoils the bunch. I know that when doing my own research on all of my menagerie I would get 5 different answers to the same question depending on what I read. So initial research can be a little tricky and it's always good to have people with experience to ask. Not everyone is going to check out 10 care sheets for one animal and that's not something you can fault a person for. Kind, knowledgeable advice will do a whole lot more for a person than ranting at them.

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
I have truly enjoyed reading this thread!! I joined this site earlier this year after seeing an adorable beardie that a friend of mine had rescued! My hubby pointed this adorable creature out to me and since then I have been reading and researching as well as making friends with this beardie. I sadly don't have my beardie yet,but have one on hold for me with a wonderful breeder and as soon as I can get the money together to get her home,lights etc... I will be bringing my baby home. The people on this site have been wonderful to me and always helpful and ready to help with any and all questions. I can't wait to be able to share my little girl with everyone here. She is a beautiful orange and is 13 inches long. She was born on July 4th. I have pictured from the breeder,but the files are huge and my stupid computer won't let me resize them or I would post pictures. Hopefully soon I can post pictured when she comes home.Sorry to ramble,thanks to Drache613,diamc,Denise Bushnell,Fresnowitte,and everyone else that has helped me and I can't wait to share my little (or big in this case) Alf with everyone!!!
Sara

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
I think the main reason why some people get upset when new people come on and have a horrible setup or something, is because they did not do adequate research before buying the beardy.

For example. I saw beardys in a pet store before and then one day it hit me, I fell in love. For a couple weeks I spent hours upon hours researching making sure it was a fit pet for me. I came across this site and its where I learned most of the information. I was very confident in my knowledge of Beardy's before locating a breeder and buying Turbo.

I certainly do not know near everything and i'm constantly learning little things here and there. But I think when ANY animal is purchased you need to research and learn a bit beforehand, and not impulse buying and relying on the pet store to set you up.

You know what I mean?

But I do agree with the flow of this thread.

HOWEVER I must add... I am on multiple forums, mostly car forums. And no matter what, there will always be that type of behavior here & there. Where people disregard the fact that some people come on forums for help and to learn, and they just throw insults in new-comer's faces. I dont ever see a day where there is a completly peaceful forum, hehe.

Ya gotta love computers! I was mid way through typing a reply and it simply disappeared. In retrospect I'm glad I got a chance to start over. Although I always try to proof read my posts to make sure that there is nothing that can be misread, I know it can happen (I got in severe trouble one time for sending an email to my boss when I was angry and the tone came out all wrong!) :banghead: I have seen a few posts that I thought came out rude and though about replying, but did not for fear of starting a war. I guess the best we can do when we see this happen is to make an effort to post something nice to counter act any negative effect from the not so nice post. :love5: So I'm glad we have this thread that we can vent a little. But also remind ourselves that we all make mistakes... well, I feel better.

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
Very well said! I applaud you poison!! :notworthy:

I don't think I have gotten too much of the bad here. When I first joined I was doing a few things wrong like substrate, etc. and was warned that it needed to be changed other wise harm could come to my beardie, but I don't remember any rudeness. I totally understand and fully agree with the fact of these are words we are typing and emotion is hard to pass through them. Someone mentioned that we need to understand this and give our posts a proof read before posting. Sometimes I do this and still don't say things the way in which I really intended. I will read it the next day and be kinda like, eh? so coulda stated that better! So, we also need to remember this and keep in mind all the things that are throughout this thread while we read other's postings. I try to not only read what it says but read the feeling behind it too if needed. Sometimes my brain goes "duh" and things just don't come out right :lol:

I also agree with the wholebeing sent home without all the information, and us not being trained with correct and full information. I mean I am living proof, and I know there are other pet store workers here that feel the same way. I didn't do too much research before hand because I thought I had been educated enough by my job. Spike was givin to me free - kind of a "you can have him if you take him by this date, etc. etc..." I knew I wanted him, he came with supplies, and I figured he could live with what he has (because he has so far) while I do research. People obtain their beardies or pets in different ways. I don't think t is proper to down people for wanting something so bad they dive in before learning to swim - we are human! What matters is their heart behind it and how they treat and care for it after obtaining it! Like I have said before, I may not be doing the perfectly best job at taking care of Spike in a tehnical sense, but I know that with the knowledge I have from here that I am taking the best care of him possible with the knowledge I have recieved.

I am going to use this moment for some "advertising" to say that this is one reason why I started the thread about a folder for Petco - please go check it out and add advice.

Love to all....aaww... my beardie family :D

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
Oh yeah ... see when first going to post in this thread I was going to tell about how I was correcting my boss in her way of care for her beardies and I totally got pulled into something else.... :lol:

I wanted to say that I can finally fully understand where some of those are coming from when they state those things like "you have to change the substrate your beardie could die", and he like. I fully understand how you write it and have 150% care and concern behind it an it just sounds like your being mean and correcting. I did this to one of my managers last night and I was their, with words, and it was more like I was yelling at her :oops:

I knew she had been using sand so when I brought up the fact that Petco changed their bd caresheet I found this perfect time to tell her its not good. I pointed out what it states clearly on the package itself, about how the juvenille's insides are kinked.... and well I just made her feel like poo and bad about how she was caring for her beardies. I know she loves them alot!! I told her that I wasn't trying to make her feel like poo, but I have love for all beardies and if she was to come into work saying that something happened to them I would just start crying. One of the beardies was from our store and wasn't using it's back legs - calcium. She took it home and works with it everyday, even now that it uses its back legs, she give it massages everyday! She is always bringing in picks of them - I feel like an aunty or something =)
But n-e-ways, I finally talked her into usng carpet and such and when I have enough roaches I am going to give he some to start a colony herself.
I just wanted to point out that I understand how you have a care and love so deeply for something, like an animal, that when you hear of something you know is bad and/or harmful it can turn you into a worried mother on a roll...

Uhhh!!!! Somebody better inform these beardies about jst how good they got it!! LOL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom