Burmation, temps, lighting, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedHandFilms

Sub-Adult Member
So my dragon Viggo, about 1.5 years old, is burmating for the first time. I've handled burmation before, but that was years ago with Draco, the dragon I had as a kid. After getting Viggo and using this forum I've realized how many things we did "wrong" with Draco, but she still lived a happy, healthy life about 9-10 years. Just never woke up from her last burmation. With that said, I've read the burmation article and I wanted to get a double check on the lighting, temps and, things.
Viggo sleeps curled up in some washcloths in his large cave, which is under his basking spot. Because of this, I decided today to shut off his UVB (ReptiSun 10.0 tube) Since he's in the cave, he's not getting any UVB from it and I figured I could extend the bulb life and save a bit on the power bill. Now, I have left his basking light on. He's on a 10 hour day cycle. Basking spot is around 105*F and inside the cave, where I've moved the temp probe to, is currently around 78*F.

He seems to be a light sleeper, not going into deep burmation. So far, I've been waking him up about every 2 weeks to bathe him and get him hydrated. He's never been much of a drinker, don't even keep a waterdish for him, but last time he did drink from his bath. After a bath, he'll bask for an hour or two and then go back into the cave on his own. I also offer a superworm or two before he goes but he doesn't seem interested.

Does this sound right to everyone? Is there a specific temp I should get his cave to?
Thanks.

P.S.
You know, I remember as a kid, it was kinda nice having a pet that you got a break from taking care of for a few months. I thought the same thing when I first got Viggo, but now I really miss him. I don't want him to burmate.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
I would not worry too much about the temp inside the cave. I personally would leave the basking light on. My beardie has not started brumating yet, but She has the past 3 years. I have really never allowed her to go into a deep brumation.I know it's very natural for them to brumate,but I prefer to just let her sleep alot and wake her up each day to see if she needs anything,sometimes she eats and sometimes she don't.I completely understand if you don't want yours to sleep for days or even weeks(You can miss the little guys).It's totally up to you how long you let him sleep or not sleep,especially if he's a light sleeper.The heat light though I would leave on(I always have)Not only to keep some warmth ,but also in case he decides he wants to come out of his cave and bask.

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
I think it's a matter of personal preference whether you leave the basking light on or not, I don't know that it makes a big difference to your dragon (assuming your dragon is in full on brumation, sleeping all day long). I turn off all my lights when Randal makes it clear that she intends to sleep for a while. My house stays around 70*F which is well within the safe temp range for dragons, and there are windows in the room Randal's tank is in, so there's enough natural light to give her a day/night cycle. Last winter was her first brumation and I'd turn the basking light on every two or three weeks when I woke her up for a bath - she could then either stay awake and bask or go back to sleep. I turned her lights back on when I noticed her moving around in her cave in the mornings - that's when I knew she was getting ready to wake up, before that she slept like a rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom