Agama?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atreyu917

Juvie Member
I originally posted this in the "Other reptile general discussion" and didn't get many views so I thought I would post it here....

I know Bearded Dragons and Agamas are totally different lizards but is their housings similiar? I couldn't find a lot of info on them, or at least that I thought was reputable. We are probably getting some at the place I work, and I want to find out as much as I can about them so I can tell customers who are interested. The specific type we are getting are Pyramid Agamas.

Thanks for any info!
Kelsey

atreyu917

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I originally posted this in the "Other reptile general discussion" and didn't get many views so I thought I would post it here....

I know Bearded Dragons and Agamas are totally different lizards but is their housings similiar? I couldn't find a lot of info on them, or at least that I thought was reputable. We are probably getting some at the place I work, and I want to find out as much as I can about them so I can tell customers who are interested.

Thanks for any info!
Kelsey

MissT

BD.org Addict
I found this site http://www.anapsid.org/agamas.html - it doesnt have a lot of specific info but there is a little. This paragraph jumped out at me tho....
An environment suitable for a collared lizard (Crotaphytus collaris) will suit most agamas. If your agama of unknown species does not thrive, you can try warming the basking area and nights up a bit. If that doesn't work, you can try a more woodland (such as for blue tongue skinks (Tiliqua scincoides intermedia) or montane, such as for Jackson's chameleons (Chameleo jacksonii).

Any care sheets I have read seem to offer conflicting advice tho.

slantedii

Hatchling Member
Use a full spectrum UVB light; this will output good UV rays for calcium absorption so that it can digest its food better. The UVB light should be used for 8-10 hours of ultraviolet lighting. This can be maintained by using a timer.
Temperature
During the day the temperature should be 75-80 degrees. Use a dome lamp to get the basking spot to be between 110-120 degrees. The nighttime temperature should be 65-75 degrees.
Humidity
Humidity should be around 50%
Food
They should be fed crickets and waxworms dusted with calcium. Make sure you feed your crickets well, including carrots, potatoes and oatmeal. Waxworms should only be fed to them once a week as a treat since they are very fattening. Adults should be fed every other day, while juveniles can be fed 2 times daily since they will be growing.
Water
You should mist the enclosure weekly to stimulate the way they naturally intake water.
Housing
Agama’s are desert reptile’s therefore there habitat should be rocky and desert-like. A 29-gallon tank is minimum. You need to use a screen lid for proper air exchange. These reptiles need a temperature gradient so therefore you will need a basking spot and a cooler area. Also you will need somewhere where the reptile can hide, this will decrease the stress level.
Number Per Enclosure
Only one male per enclosure. Up to two females may be kept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LiamYe
Top Bottom