Beardie to small?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
So Monday we came home with yet another dragon who is much younger and perhaps slightly more "special needs" than our other 2 (Gibby is 8, Dora is three, and I've had both less than a year, so I've never dealt with a baby before). I had to bring her home because I've never seen such horrible stress marks, which have nearly disappeared now.
The girl who had her swears up and down she is 9 months old, but she's only about 9 1/2 inches and 40 grams. She says she got her when she was 3 months old, so I'm wondering if she misunderstood and she was actually 3 WEEKS, but even at 6-7 months, she's still very small, isn't she? Will she keep growing if I feed her or could her growth be permanently stunted? She seems perfectly healthy and very alert and aware, the fact that she's tiny is the only physical thing I can see that seems wrong.
She's been fed crickets and greens every day (but the cage has a gap the crickets can escape from, so I'm thinking she probably only gave her a few at a time so they didn't escape, and letting 3-4 crickets at a time lose would get old fast, I imagine. I have a seperate feeding tank.) Monday night she ate about 15 for me. Tuesday morning she had 8, and I wasn't able to get her to eat any that evening. I haven't tried yet this morning. They've all been calcium/vitamin dusted. Her salad is always availible to her, atm it's collard greens and squash, but I haven't seen her display any real interest in it.
She's currently without a UVB bulb because she came with a coil UVB and I decided it was probably better to take it out while we waited for the ReptiSun I ordered to arrive. I seem to recall that no/bad UVB can stunt growth too, so will getting the right tube in help her grow?
There's also a smaller issue with the fact that she really hasn't been handled that often, and has never been handled outside of her tank, so picking her up and holding her is a huge ordeal that completely stresses her out. When I pick her up, I put my hand in the tank and hold it at her eye level so she doesn't feel like I'm "swooping" in at her, and then pet her head for a minute or two until she seems to relax, but then I go to pick her up and she's halfway across the tank so fast it makes my head spin, lol. Should I just give up on holding her for a few days and concentrate on petting and hand-feeding to show her I'm not going to hurt her? My other thought was to try holding her in the morning before she's had time to warm up and become more active. I'd really like to give her a bath, but as long as she's next to impossible to hold I don't think that's such a hot idea.
Any advice you've got will be very welcome! I don't mind a tiny dragon as I have no intentions of breeding her, but if there's anything I can do to help her live up to her potential, I'd love to know so I can do it. Thanks!
Oh, and I do intend on taking her to the vet, but the closest herp vet I trust is a 3 hour drive so it'll be at least next week.
And she is not currently being kept in the same area of the house as our other 2, you actually have to go outside to get from one place to another so there aren't even doors connecting the areas, so they wouldn't be causing her any extra stress, I wouldn't think.

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
Either 7 or 9 months, she sounds small. 40 grams does not seem right at all. Mine is about 7 months and she is about 17".

I don't know how to answer the stunted growth question. IT seems to me that she will grow if you feed her and take care of her better than the other girl did.

I think you should keep handling to a minimum until she gets established in your home. However, I do think you should try to give her warm baths.

How are her poops?

Do you have a basking spot for her?

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Her poops are fine, she took 2 yesterday that are nearly as big as she is, lol. Solid but moist, she didn't seem to have any trouble passing them.

She has a basking spot, the light is a regular 60w bulb, the temps are about 100-105 in the spot she sits.

How do you suggest giving the warm baths? I don't want to chase her around the cage, but given experience with my other dragons, if I do the "pick her up while she's half asleep" in the morning thing, I'm going to get a death glare and possibly her itty-bitty beard if I carry her to the bathroom while she really doesn't want to be held and then plunk her in a warm bath.

I was not able to get her to eat at all this morning either. :? I'm hoping I can attribute that to some degree of relocation stress, which never happened with either of my others either since I was able to spend extensive time holding them before bringing them home, so they always felt safe with me.

I'm working on getting a picture, for some reason I can never seem to find the camera when I have the photocard, and vis-versa.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Update: She ate one cricket for me today, and I've offered them 3 or 4 times. :( I've got some organic applesauce with no added sugar, should I try putting a little on her nose, or see how she feels about food tomorrow?
We had our first bath tonight! I decided to turn out her lights early and let her go to sleep, and then took her out to the already prepared bath. Once she figured out I wasn't trying to kill her, she relaxed a little, and then when I showed her it was water by dripping it on her nose, she actually seemed to kind of enjoy it, and started exploring and drinking. I wrapped her in her towel after (with her head covered by a fold) and it was like instant relaxation- she closed her eyes and stopped fighting and running. So I transferred her to the folds of robe at my chest and she hasn't moved or opened her eyes since. Maybe one of the reasons she panics is that the world is just too big? Lol, can beardies be agoraphobic? I'm hoping that making this a nightly ritual will help her learn to trust me.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Pictures!
064.jpg

066.jpg

068.jpg

060.jpg

Stephies_Leo _Dragon

Juvie Member
She probably was more relaxed because it was her "sleepy" time as I call it. That is the best time to bath her and handle her until she gets used to everything. Her appetite will probably improve when you get her UV light set up too. And 100-105 seems a little low for her basking temp since she is still young, see if you can get it up to 110. She is a cutie congrats !!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Just to reassure you, we have a 2 1/2 yr old female we call Sweetie, she really is a sweetheart. We got her when she was 4-5 mo old and she was so skinny, she had no fat on her at all. I found out the previous owner hadn't fed her any bugs for over a month, because the local pet shop moved away. She wasn't getting proper UVB & the basking temps were off as well. She was also in a tank way too small for her. When we first got her we dripped water on her nose and she drank and drank and drank. She started to eat crickets right away. She grew so much within 2 mo she was 16" long and today she weighs 458g (I just weighed her this am). So yes, once your new girl is used to you, and her appetite picks up, she'll grow as well. She looks really healthy from the pics you put on. So just keep offering her food. There is a site called http://www.beautifuldragons.com that has alot of information about beardies & under nutrition there is a long list of food that's good to feed beardies. You might want to try some silkworms, as they're full of calcium and she just might like them. Good luck with your new beardie and I'm glad she's getting used to you, taking baths and cuddling. :blob5: :blob8: :blob5:

Dave94

Gray-bearded Member
When I first got mojo she was about 6-7inches at 6months :shock: Its nearly been 6months since I got her (and she is 1year old now!) and she is 17-19inches 450grams+ and still has some growing left I reckon. So your new beardie should be fine :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom