What is your Daily Routine

Status
Not open for further replies.

muzikfreakah

Juvie Member
What is your daily routine with your beardy(s)? I will try to compile them in exel document as a guide to noobs like me :-D

Example:
Morning
6-8am - Basking under direct sunlight
8:10 am - Breakfast
8:30-8:45am - Warm Bath on there bathtub (plastic container with leg level warm water), around a spoon of water over there head and body.
8:46am - Drain water then keep them there for awhile while I change newspaper on their viv.
8:55am - put them back on their viv and just chill..

Noontime
They do whatever Until Lunch time where I repeat the same process starting at around 12pm. BUT NO MORE baths, I do move them to a sperate enclosure after lunch for changing the newspaper again.

Evening
Repeat same process after dinner still without Bath around 7pm.
10pm- Shut off lamp. I noticed when I do this they climb of the screen of the viv on the side and sleep there hanging.

There will be occasional newspaper changes in between every time they poop :-D

Do you guys keep your heating lamp on at night?

nissaah

Well first it seems as if your day is really long. I only give my beardies 11-12hours of "sun" everyday. Should get a good 10-12h night. No I don't use heat emitter at night as it is important that the temperatures go down, but no lower than 65F. They need the dip in temps at night. As for the routine, I don't change my substrate quite as often (my adult is on sand my baby is on millet). So morning: lights go on, get their salad about 1h-1h30 later. Then I pick up the poop (they are timed like a clock on that :roll: ). Then they chill under the sun often coming down to pig out on the salad. When I'm sure they ate enough greens, I feed insects. I take em out and feed em in a large container bin so they don't swallow sand or millet (even though the millet is digestible and they seem to like it), this way it's also easier to dust the preys (I don't lose leftover dust in the sand it just stays in the bin for the next batch :p). Then they go back in the sun for about 2h. After that is exercise time. Mostly they will glass-dance to come out around 3pm so I let em out. They run around a little (about 1h) then back in the viv. Around 5pm my baby gets his second feeding (insects). And then I sometimes take my adult out again to run. Then heat until the sun goes down. :p
Hope I helped ^^

Jeremy11

Hatchling Member
Beardies are a lot of work but they aren't like children!! You don't need to do all of that!! Just make sure that they have 12 hours of hot bright light like stated above, feed as many crickets as they will eat, and only bathe them once a week!! They are a desert reptile they don't need large quantities of water!! The juice in a cricket is generally enough!! Buy Zilla clock so that the lights will be turned off and on for you as well.

My routine is pretty simple really. I get up, turn the lights on to let Daytona warm up a bit. I make a salad, she basks under the light for a bit then usually gets moved to my shoulder for a good portion of the day. Right now she's sitting in the windowsill getting some real sunlight. I do spot cleanings on all my enclosures throughout the day. Daytona gets live prey and fresh salad several times a day then more basking under the light. By the time 8PM rolls around she's ready for bed and I have to feed and/or mist all my nocturnal critters.

renich

Juvie Member
it really depends on the age of your dragon.

as others have noted, ALL dragons should get about 14 hourd of daylight and 10 hours of night time.

beardies under a year should eat salad and proteins (typically crickets) daily. it is also recommended to bathe them at least every other day. every day is good for the young ones.

beardies over a year old should get salad daily and protein (crickets, phoenix worms, silkworms) every other day. they should be bathed weekly.

muzikfreakah

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks guys! All notes taken.

They are still young so I plan to bath them everyday. Bath meaning 15 minutes skinny dipping in knee length water.And about a spoon of water over their head, body and tail.

-Im basically just feeding them crickets, salad always but never touch except for the occasional cricket the jumps on the salad bowl and they accidentally much on salad with it. But they dont go for seconds after that lolz.

10 hours of sleep e? That I have to adjust too. The auto light shut off sounds good, will scout around for that. I went ahead and ordered the Mega-ray 160watts. Cant wait to attached it. My basking spot will be albeit lower thought since 160 mite be too hot. The 100 watts was out of stock :-( Even at 100 watts I am still afraid it mite get too hot for them coz we are in the Philippines. Tsk Tsk.. oh well.

Again thanks guys!!

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
My girl is an adult and her basic daily schedule is:

6:00 am - lights come on
7:00 am - salad goes in then I leave for work
5:30 pm - I get home from work, say hello to her, and add more salad as needed
8:00 pm - lights go off

She is on a random live food schedule, so she gets 30 superworms a week, spread throughout the week on random days. On the days that she gets bugs, I give them to her around 5:30 when I get home from work. She gets bathed at least once a week, usually on the weekend when I have more time. She also gets a bath anytime I take her out of the tank for an extended period of time - that way I don't have to worry about her pooping on me or somewhere in the house (she poops in the bath).

When she was a baby, her schedule was something like this:
7:00 am - lights on
8:00 am - salad goes in, first feeding of live bugs
12:00 pm - second feeding of live bugs (for the first two weeks, after that my schedule changed and she was old enough to go down to 2 feedings a day)
5:00 pm - last feeding of bugs
9:00 pm - lights off
She was bathed every 2-3 days, and I picked her up often throughout the day to get her used to handling.

A dragon's day can be anywhere from 10-14 hours of light, often depending on the time of year. In the winter their day should be shorter to mimic the natural day while it is a bit longer during the summer for the same reason.
Baby dragons can/should be bathed every 3 days or so since the smaller they are, the more easily they become dehydrated. Adults are fine with a bath once a week or every two weeks, depending on how much moisture they get in their diet.

terabith

Combichristina":707b5 said:
Right now she's sitting in the windowsill getting some real sunlight.

just in case you're not aware, while infrared rays and light will go through a window, UV rays will not.

terabith":b0697 said:
Combichristina":b0697 said:
Right now she's sitting in the windowsill getting some real sunlight.

just in case you're not aware, while infrared rays and light will go through a window, UV rays will not.

It's still in the 70s here in Florida, I keep my windows open for most of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom