shinglebacks- my beardies new neighbours

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirby

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
atreyu917":d1193 said:
I LOVE the keeping a lookout pic and the last one.

They look so sweet. Just the expressions on their face just reminds me of a sweet elderly person, I don't know why. how big of a tank do you keep those in and how long do they live?

they live for 40+ years i beleive. producing 1-4 young a year (mostly 2) they are currently in a 3x2x2, which is alright for now, seeing they arent very active.. lol. but they will soon move into a 4x3x2. :D

atreyu917

Juvie Member
kirby":14e3d said:
atreyu917":14e3d said:

They look so sweet. Just the expressions on their face just reminds me of a sweet elderly person, I don't know why. how big of a tank do you keep those in and how long do they live?

they live for 40+ years i beleive. producing 1-4 young a year (mostly 2) they are currently in a 3x2x2, which is alright for now, seeing they arent very active.. lol. but they will soon move into a 4x3x2. :D

So are they livebearers and not egg layers? That's so crazy. Australia certainly does have the most unique animals.

kirby

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
atreyu917":bac12 said:
kirby":bac12 said:
atreyu917":bac12 said:

So are they livebearers and not egg layers? That's so crazy. Australia certainly does have the most unique animals.

yes, live bearers. i think all blue tongue skinks are live bearers.

the reason they have evolved to do this is so their young are born large, and able to defend themselves. also why they have a nubb tail look-a-like head to deter preditors, and scale armour skin, they have blue tongues on pink mouths (look venomous)... its all in defense.

atreyu917

Juvie Member
kirby":b91f3 said:
atreyu917":b91f3 said:
kirby":b91f3 said:
atreyu917":b91f3 said:

yes, live bearers. i think all blue tongue skinks are live bearers.

the reason they have evolved to do this is so their young are born large, and able to defend themselves. also why they have a nubb tail look-a-like head to deter preditors, and scale armour skin, they have blue tongues on pink mouths (look venomous)... its all in defense.

Didn't know that about skinks. I've always wanted a Blue Tongue, but it's one of those things where i haven't REALLY done much research, cause I can't afford any more pets. haha. And after looking up detailed info, it'll make me want one EVEN more.

kirby

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
atreyu917":9d907 said:
Didn't know that about skinks. I've always wanted a Blue Tongue, but it's one of those things where i haven't REALLY done much research, cause I can't afford any more pets. haha. And after looking up detailed info, it'll make me want one EVEN more.

i beleive most skinks are egg layers, just our blue tongue skinks are different.

they are SUPER easy to keep. to put it very basic, you could make up a mix fortnightely, freeze it, and defrost a bit every two days and wallah! and offer some live food twice a week.

juveniles, this is a daily thing. but they are FAR easier then dragons.

lizardgrrl

Sub-Adult Member
Hi Kirby!

Just read through the pages on your shinglebacks, (They're beautiful! :love5: ) and wanted to let you know the first I learned of them was from a 1920's book that referred to them as two-headed lizards, because they looked the same, coming or going, and would walk backward as easily as forward. They look very personable, and I'm definitely going to start working on a trip to Australia, because, in addition to some family history research, I really want to see these guys and the dragons where they live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom