Change at Petco gonna happen??

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
I am sooo excited! It seems as though the change, at least at my Petco has moved much much closer to actually happening!!

I haven't really sat down and discussed the issue with my store manager because we (me and other associates) have discussed it with the district manager and he has stated it's not going to happen. Well, my store manager is one to be known to follow what ever he says so I thought talking to her at the moment before I have proof, paperwork, research, etc in my hand would be pretty much pointless.
Yesterday when we were doing the animals (feeding, cleaning, etc.) in the morning, she had one of the baby berdies in a bowl soaking. Of course I was like "Aww... what a matter little dude?" and walked over to check him out. She stated that his stomach seemed bloated, he is slightly lethargic, and he butt area is swollen and sand is cemented around the area. Now, of course I hated ths and felt bad for the little dude, but I thought this was, and too it s the perfect oppotnity to make a point. I told her it was that "Nasty Calci-sand". She looked at me and was like "HUH??" I asked her if she ever read the back of the bag we get and use for store use nd she stated no. I grabbed it and pointed to a section of writting that is written in all capitals and bold font and told her to read it....."DO NOT USE ON JUVENILLE REPTILES. CAN AND WILL CAUSE IMPACTION." She was absolutely in shock! I have never seen such a loss and a wanting to understand in my life. I then stated, "And just in case you don't know what impaction is - note I have never personally seen it before, but I bet you that is what this little guy is going through. And why? Because we use sand that we shouldn't be because people in corporate just plain don't understand."
She then said the most exciting part, "WELL, WE DON"T HAVE TO USE THE SAND. WE CAN CHANGE IT, I DON"T CARE!!!! WE WILL DISCUSS WHAT IS BEST TO USE LATER!!"
WOOT WOOT, Yep, that is right! The change is on!! We were so busy yesterday she asked me not to change it then, but that it will be getting changed, probably this week when I deep clean the reptiles. Yeah, I am so excited! The little dude was rushed to the vet, I have not heard wht is up with him but I am hoping for the best because other than the problem stated above he acted and seemed excetpionally healthy - more than most.

luvthydragon

Juvie Member
You seem so passionate about making a change and it's great to hear that you are making some progress. You may not be able to change the corporate outlook but just making changes at your store can help so many dragons. One store at a time.......I applaud your efforts - keep up the good work. :D

clear

Sub-Adult Member
Good job! I have found out that instead of showing whats best for the animals show them how they can save money! money talks!

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I totally second what Luvthydragon said........every word of it! :D
(we need a smilie that is clapping hands) But this will do! :bikerwave: :headbang:

An I agree with Clear if you show them how much $$$ they can save on substrates you will be amazed at how quickly they may respond. I've actually use this approach at some of our local pet stores an it's working well. :wink:

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yeah, of course I pointed that out as well. I could tell that my point was hitting home now that she had it right in front of her face, so I started dancing (lol) cuz I was so excited. I have been trying to make this change since becoming a member on here. She was like, "What are you dancing for woman?" And I said, "Cuz I'm gonna change Petco..., I'm gonna change Petco, woot woot!" LOL, yes, I know, I am a dork. But then I added that I am also saving Petco money and explained to her that if we just start out with two strips of carpet for each habitat that we now use sand in, one being used and the other being cleaned and waiting to be used, we would save so much money! She was like..."Hmmm....that is very true!" Which is REAL nice right now because it has been talked that our "allowance" for greens and veggies might be cut. Which I already had a huge fit about, so I very highly doubt that will happen :D

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Great Job! :mrgreen: :blob5: :mrgreen: :blob5:
And...............
the best of luck to you. :D

It feels really good to make a difference for these awesome little creatures. :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: :blob8:

atreyu917

Juvie Member
After much convincing and much debate, I was able to convince our RCAC and GM to let me put carpet in there. And eventually they agreed. We lost a lot of baby beardies (it was because they were too small not from sand) but I am glad that we got that changed. Our DM will probably be pretty mad when he sees it, but we haven't lost a leopard gecko or beardie since we did the carpet. AND we stopped ordering the small ones from sandfire because they died so often.

Little by little we can make a difference.

Kelsey
(Acworth store 2727 in GA)

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Way to go Kelsey!
I'm sure their habitats even look better now and are easier to clean, not to mention the number of health issues changed due to changing to carpet.
We haven't had too many problems with them being too young, although I am sure we have gotten a few. With our store it is that stupid sand! I just hate that sand - all the little beardies I have witnessed with it cemented to their body - hands, feet, head, butt...

Sometimes change is not only good but magnificant!

atreyu917

Juvie Member
Oh I agree, i hated the sand as well! I hate how it dyed them red etc. Our babies have come in at only 4 inches before. Makes me really mad because I have to force feed them water and kitten food/baby food/etc for days for them to perk up from shipping. I may be quitting soon, but what happens to some of the animals after I am gone worries me.
But I'm glad the carpet is in there though. All i do is pick up the carpet every morning while the babies are getting a bath and i rub the sides of it together and the poop flies off! We have yet to wash them because we just put them in there but i'm sure as long as someone doesnt try and put it in the dryer it'll be fine!

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
UPDATE:
So, I found out that little beardie guy didn't make it :cry: :x :angry5: :banghead: :cry:
The vet tried everything he could I guess. I had even stated that if he can get him to where he is okay, but needs special care I would adopt him...oh well.

When my GM told me this I was like, "And, so... you know what this means right?" Her: "That your changing out the sand no matter what I say?" Me: "Yeppers, pretty much!!"

So, sad and bad news, but good news in the end because it has proven what I have been trying to tell her since joining here. This is actually the first death since I became a member - not gonna get into before that!

Awesome little dude! He took that giant leap to save many to come.

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ok, so it is done. Hopefully it will stay that way!
I have a feeling, be it the petition, employees, or even both, that the change is going to creep to every Petco and it's gonna stick! I have learned that another Petco had a district meeting and the whole district (at least) is changing to carpet. Plus, we are now going to be able to order store use carpet - this is a BIG step!!!

Here are pics of my beardie friends after changing them. They were much more active!!

2994607832_9c530bba20.jpg

2994607790_648955df9a.jpg

They are soo cute! Look at little dude in right corner - he was watching me watch him=)

Here is the leopard geckos - changed them as well. The sand is GONE!!

2994607750_964a1a0c95.jpg

They are all hiding in the tree. The tree was recently added as well, and they love it.

Keep up all the hard work in helping make Petco better guys! You are all not the only ones who appreciate it - the beardies do and so do the employees!!

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Words won't do justice for how proud I am of what you're trying to do at your store, so here are a bunch of smilies to express my thanks and gratitude for your determination:

smiley81.gif
smiley2051.gif
smiley1678.gif
smiley1680.gif
smiley1710.gif
smiley1711.gif
smiley1267.gif
smiley1287.gif
smiley1299.gif

smiley2087.gif

Sorry to hear that the baby beardie didn't make it. :(

boxers

Hatchling Member
That is amazing!! :)

The change I've accomplished so far is just giving them more crickets, and dripping water onto them...
People used to use like 45 crickets for the entire reptile section. Wtf!! :shock:
I made notes every time I fed, using like 100-or-so crickets and stating that 20 were for just the two lethargic beardies and like 70 were for the ravenous water dragons. The anoles and geckos all had crickets hiding in their substrate/carpet, so they didn't need to be loaded with very many more.
I also explained to some employees that the beardies don't really drink out of their dishes and that we should drip/spray some onto their heads.

I would like to introduce baths, but who knows.
Also, I complain about the lack of UVB bulbs every day I work, but nothing yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom