Death of Young beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojostwo

:cry: Hi we just purchased a young beardie from petsmart about 1 week ago and he seemed fine. Alert loved staying in his tree and no evident illness noted. Last night went to bed late and before that i was handling him and he seemed fine. I had previously had a beardie who unfortunately died at about 3 yrs of age.Getting back to my new beardie, this am when i awoke he was dead on the floor. I was needlessly to say upset and sad we are taking him back today for a new one. One thing the guy at petsmart told me which i found odd,only because everything i read and did with my prior beardie is, i dont feed him crickets until older and just let him have meal worms and veggies. Also another was with the lighting. He said he didnt use uvb on his and that you dont have too, just keep the dimmer at night on the beardie. My beardie stayed in his tree alot and i would handle him show him his bowl, but the last few days he would just go back to the tree.In the beginning he ate the lettuce from my hand. Does anyone have any feed back
Joanne Port Saint Lucie, Fl.

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
Mealworms are not good for baby beardies. Small crickets are better, nutritionally.

I would definitely take it back and when you get the new one, pick up small crickets.

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Im so sorry about your beardie :(
Unfortunately the petstore is giving you alot of wrong info.Plz check out our health,enclosures and general section for the correct info.They NEED a good uvb light,heat lamp,correct temps taken with a tempgun or probe thermometer(not those stick-on types)and a proper diet.Mealworms and regular lettuce are not good.Babies need alot of protein from crickets or phoenix worms along with rich green veggies like collard,escarole,endive and mustard greens.

Check out this color-coded nutrition list :D
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

Like I said check out the other sections we have. "Website Comments" are for comments directly related to the running of this site. :D

luvthydragon

Juvie Member
Hi there-

Welcome to BD.org :D

I'm so sorry you lost your dragon so early after getting him. You never know, he may have been ill with parasites or something else before you got him. I have also read here that they are masters at disguising their illnesses. There is lots of conflicting info from pet stores and I am so thankful I found this site with SO MANY owners with real experience. I also got mine from a pet store and if I had to do it again I would definately go with a breeder (which you could find here also).

Don't be discouraged.....
Maybe continue doing some research here, take your time and make sure your set up is complete, and when you are ready, get one from a reputable breeder and try again. :D

Sorry again for your loss.

Take care

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm so sorry to hear about you losing 2 beardies that were so young. Unfortunately, petstores have given all of us bad info but we are here to help when you decide to get another beardie. If you could answer these questions for us about the setup you had for the one that just died, we can help make sure that everything is perfect for when you get another one. Please be as detailed as possible, OK?

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bath your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom