Exercise for my beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

twicky

Looking for different exercises for my "Cutie". Here's the one's I'm using so far.

I just changed the sand in his tank. I used about 35 pounds of sand and he is having a ball He had about 10 pounds before). He starts digging where he wants to sleep, then continues thru-out his tank, just digging to his heart's content. I love it. He's having so much fun. He needs more things like that to excite him.

When I take him out for his 5 hrs freedom, I clean up his tank and level off the mountains he so laborously created. I tried leaving them the first night and that was a mistake. He wanted to dig. It gives him something to do and I love watching him at work. They spend so much time basking that anything that keeps them at a high metabolism for a period of time, has to be good for mind & body.
(Yes I'm a exercise fanatic)

Also I'll put him in a large baking dish, fill it with 90-94* water and sometimes he just starts doing laps. Just has a ball. He'll stay in the water for 20 min or more. The he runs off to lay up by the window and bask under the light I hooked up for him there.

When he does his little mating dance to his reflection, he doing a lot of moving then. I had a big mirror on the floor and he found it and started doing the "dance". I would be that it must be some type of mating ritual. He was doing so much dancing against the mirror, he finally just fell asleep right there. 2 hours later, I put him to bed.

So if you can think of any other exercises to put my "Cutie" through, I sure would appreciate it.

best to all

MissT

BD.org Addict
My Abu's fav exercise is 'stair-jumps' - shes gravid at the moment so is being rather lazy.... but she loves jumping up the stairs when she is out. One of her new exercises is trying to climb up the sofa back - its leather so its pretty impossible but she tries so hard to make it up there - bless her little heart!!

Kazi's exercises include anything which allows him to be a nutter - he does the mating dance at absolutely everything/everyone that passes him, climbs his background, swings from the plastic vines in his viv and jumps around every piece of furniture in his viv. I added a 'tree' to his viv (its a small v-shaped branch which I added large, creeping jungle greenery to) and he absolutely loves tree-climbing. Hes also very into his swimming - sometimes I think hes part frog the way he swims around in his bath tub!

Just one thing I thought I would mention tho - be careful that mirror doesnt stress him out - my little guy gets so 'upset' when he catches a glimpse of our other beardie and gets himself so wound up it worries me at times!

twicky

Original Poster
Looks like I'll be putting "Cutie" on the stairs. That sounds like fun.
I might be enjoying the thought more than he will but it's certainly worth a try.
I like the vine in the trees idea too. Thanks for the tips.

Here's a couple of pics of "Cutie" with my other pet "Kitty".
very cute pics
hope you enjoy them

kittyCutie_best_2pics.jpg

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
The pics of your bd and cat are just adorable!

I don't really have any suggestions for exercise. Unfortunately my Spike is a bit lazy it seems. I get him out to chase some crickets, and half the time he's not even into them! He seems to rather sleep, watch TV, or try to run into a place that he isn't allowed to go. The one time he went by the stairs he just tried to dig inbetween two steps so he could go to sleep.

I do suggest takin pics or video of your bd's wonderful behavior for all of us to enjoy =)

We have 2 beardies, Marc-Anthony and Apollo. I like to hold them in the palm of my hand and then slowly start to tilt my hand so they have to climb from my palm to the top of my hand. Of course I would never let them fall but they do have to put physical effort into it. I'll sit on the bed and do this with them on and off for 20 minutes or so. It lets them use their muscles plus never letting them fall builds their trust in you.

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
dolphinsilversea01":756a8 said:
The pics of your bd and cat are just adorable!

I don't really have any suggestions for exercise. Unfortunately my Spike is a bit lazy it seems. I get him out to chase some crickets, and half the time he's not even into them! He seems to rather sleep, watch TV, or try to run into a place that he isn't allowed to go. The one time he went by the stairs he just tried to dig inbetween two steps so he could go to sleep.

I do suggest takin pics or video of your bd's wonderful behavior for all of us to enjoy =)

Are our beardies related!?! Lol. I was thinking, how do all these peeps get their beardies to exercise. Mine likes to run alright, run right over to cozy looking spot to sleep....and if she's not sleeping there, she crawls on me to sleep or for me to carry her around. Lol. ...and sometimes, she makes me feed her by hand because she's a princess.

Meesh

My oldest is the same way. I used to think he was lazy, but now I realized he's just spoiled. I have to hand feed him everything, unless he's eating superworms. If I feed him crickets, I have to take all his toys out first. Sometimes he'll run around the house like he's on a mission, but then usually I put him on my bed and he snuggles up and passes out. Hard days work.... I guess.

Draba

Hatchling Member
Mine tries to go where he isn't allowed. His goal is always to find the best place too sleep though. He's quite lazy. lol

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
Meesh":df643 said:
My oldest is the same way. I used to think he was lazy, but now I realized he's just spoiled. I have to hand feed him everything, unless he's eating superworms. If I feed him crickets, I have to take all his toys out first. Sometimes he'll run around the house like he's on a mission, but then usually I put him on my bed and he snuggles up and passes out. Hard days work.... I guess.

LOL!

What kind of toys do you have in there?

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
All of my beardies except Baby Bender get time to roam the house each day.
Zak-n-Wheezie get their exercise doing water therapy/swimming. :wink:
Actually they all get to swim daily.
And well...
Baby Bender is just a baby so he runs around his viv constantly he's in no need for additional exercise. :lol:

But in addition we have an outdoor enclosure that my husband built that each gets a turn to go out in when weather is permitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom