Different bedtimes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tubbs

My boys have both their beardies (one male, one female) housed together in a 48" tank. They are around 3-4 months old and seem happy together for now. I am watching closely and have never seen any of the 'signs' (arm waving, beards, tail up etc ) which show tension. If I do see any sign, we will separate them, but until then, I like to have them together - they actually seem to enjoy each other's company.

My question relates to lights-out time. Usually we would put their lights out at about 8-8.30pm (which gives them approx 13 hours of light), but Ruby will often find a dark corner an hour before that and take herself off to bed. If we turn the lights off earlier, Dexter sits on the rock looking at the (now dark) lightbulb as if he's saying "what happened, I'm not ready for bed yet...")

Ruby does not have a hide - would that be a good idea? Thanks for any input.

supertrisha

Juvie Member
Having a hide would help, yes. If you do add hides, be sure to think about adding two- one for each "kid." That way, hopefully they won't get posessive and territorial about "their" hiding spot.

boxers

Hatchling Member
Razual and Lennon are not housed together, but I can sort of relate to your situation.

Lennon gets out of bed earlier and goes to sleep earlier than Razual does. (She either climbs up into her hammock and presses her face against the glass, or just crashes in a corner somewhere, :lol:) Typically she is asleep by 9 pm, sometimes as early as 8 pm. She wakes up again at 8 or 9 am, and I turn on the light again about 10 am, at which time she crawls down and begins basking.
Razual stays up until 1 am, sometimes. His light goes out at midnight at the very latest- it all depends on where he is situated. If he is basking, we feel guilty turning off the light. He has a little log though, that he crawls under to sleep in. Typically he goes to bed at 10 or 11 pm. He sometimes wakes up as early as 6 or 7 am, but never emerges from the cave until 10 or 11 am, when the lights come on.
They get fed brunch about noon.

I don't know how Razual's lighting situation was when he was still with the breeder, but since Lennon is from my store, I know what she is used to, and can see the similarity in her current pattern.
Reptile lights get turned on anywhere from 6 am to 9 am (I think 8-9 am is a much more accurate guess, based on what I see when I open), depending where the pet care openers start cleaning and feeding. Their lights go off at 9 pm when the store closes. I think she still seems pretty used to that schedule.

I agree with putting hides in, especially since I see Razual utilize his every night when he is finally ready for bed. :wink:

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
Another thing to watch out for is your male isn't far off age-wise to being trying to mate with her so definatly keep that in mind :)

Boxers, your beardys have late bedtimes! Turbo's lights go off at 8:30 and on at 7:00 and most of the time he crashes before the lights go out and is up and waiting for them to turn on in the morning....

boxers

Hatchling Member
Our beardies have late bedtimes because I go to sleep and wake up pretty late :oops:
I am usually getting up out of bed between 10 and 11 am. Which is why I turn their lights on at that time.

I don't have school, and I'm always closing at work (I get home at like 10:15 pm), so I don't really have a reason to wake up super early :?
And from observing them in the mornings where my cat just so happened to wake me up, I would squint over to their cages and see that they were still sleeping, or at least still in sleeping positions with eyes opening, so I know that they don't get up super early either.
(On such mornings when I get woken up, I usually go back to sleep until my normal time. :| )

Oh, also; Richie starts waking up when the sun comes in, but doesn't usually get out of bed until 9 or 10 too. So if they needed lights earlier, they would have them available, but lights are not typically already on when I get up, thus I take it to mean the beardies are still groggy too :lol:

supertrisha

Juvie Member
xJaZx":ecd8f said:
Boxers, your beardys have late bedtimes!

I kind of wish Dragon stayed up later... his lights are on at 8 and off at 9:30... and whether he's in the cage or not, he's crashed out at 10:00 on the dot. It's cute to watch!

Tubbs

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I guess they just have different habits - they and brother & sister so they came from the same schedule. Ruby also tends to get going more slowly in the morning, presumably because she sleeps in a far corner which takes longer to warm up. But because Dexter sleeps on the rock, as soon as the lights go on, he's pretty chipper.

Thanks also for the heads-up re breeding. Are there signs I can be looking out for which would indicate that might be about to start? Do they always try to mate with a female, and do they always have to be separated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom