When and if to separate them

Status
Not open for further replies.

cla6665

Hello everybody, I have 3 small dragons in one tank. I male to females, right now they are about 2 months old. I was wondering how long I can leave them in the same tank, the tank is 48 x 24x 20. I think there is enough space for all of them right now, I am just worried they start biting each other. I also noticed today that they started waving a lot. Just wondering if trouble is about to start or not. Right now they get along very well.
Thanks

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
please seperate them. look at my signature and avatar. the one with no legs was almost killed by his tankmates during an unsupervised feeding. he almost died and is now severly handicapped.

about the arm waving. im pretty sure that is a sign of panic and submission. if you see that, then one of your beardies is being bullied.

just try to provide 3 seperatre tanks for them, each with their own UV and heat sources.

kirby

Extreme Poster
i was in the same position when i started. i ignored a member on here saying the same as jscott is. i came home to my three dragons of similar age trying to kill each other. :shock:

the arm waving is a sign of submission, meaning their is dragons in the tank wanting dominance, and ordering a heirachy. there is stress present which lowers the immune system, growth, development, absorption and health and wellbeing. please separate them ASAP.

cla6665

Original Poster
Thank you very much, I will separate them immediately. I have another question, is there a time that they can stay together or not. I went to visit a friend of mine and he's got 4 or 5 in the same tank, they are all adults thought. At one point I would like to have some living together, if possible obviously. Thank you very much for the replies
Thanks again

kirby

Extreme Poster
cla6665, your friend probably isnt experienced enough to realise they are solitary animals, any bet, they are all enduring stress. they arm wave, bob and black beard occasionally, they lie on each other, and half or one is probably alot smaller or thinner then the others. they have a suceptibility to parastes and arent as healthy as say a dragon kept alone.

were speaking from experience. we know these animals. we didnt consult a pet store for knowledge. :roll:

cla6665

Original Poster
Thank you all very much , I have already separate them. Do you think that 2 females together are going to have the same problem? Right now I have the male separated from them, I am just wondering if the two females have to be separated too. They are the same age and size. I am learning as much as possible from you guys, I am sorry for all this questions but I rather ask first then make mistakes. I just love my birdies and I want the best for them.
Thank you so much everybody.
PS: I just completed my viv today and I'll be posting some pictures
Thanks

kirby

Extreme Poster
i wanna see some pics :D

yes, the two females will have similar issues. they are naturally solitary animals. please seperate them asap. if you can get a large storage tub, they do great. you can give them a clamp lamp each, and stretch a uv tube over a few tanks or tubs..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom