can our dragons understand what we say?

Status
Not open for further replies.
so, i went to pet my dragon and he went balistic, ran around like crazy, wouldnt let me get close to him, i slowly put my finger up to him and he puffed up and made this little whistling noise at me, so i backed off, gave him a few minutes to himself, then i came back, and i started talking to him, i told him "it's ok, i'm not going to hurt you, i just want to pet you, i just want to be your friend, you can trust me" things like that, and he calmed down. then i tried giving him mealworms from my hand, he wouldnt take it at first, but after i told him it was ok and i wasnt gonna hurt him, he took it, he did this four times, and then after that wouldnt take anymore. is it possible he can really understand me? i try not to be afraid around him cuz i kno he can pick up on that, but i kinda cant help it, i've been bit by a reptile before and it hurt bad, so after that i had allways been kinda careful about picking up reptiles. whenever he puffs up or suddenly runs away outta nowhere, i get kinda startled, i'm workin on not being so afraid around him.

zebedeepink

Sub-Adult Member
I don't know if they can understand but I talk to George all the time. I tell her she's mommy's little angel and what a good girl she is. My hubby things I'm crazy :roll: I talk to my snake as well and that seems to calm her down as she's very skittish at being handled

Thats funny that you say that..
My son is sure that chicko understands him...
He sings to him and he falls asleep..I am not kidding..
He closes his eyes almost everytime he sings to him..
LOL

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
Oh thats so cute, George the little girl, lol - I love it.

In regards to them understanding what we say? No I dont think so at all really. I think they understand the tone of how we say things though. If you talk to it in a soothing voice, especially if it knows your voice im sure it is comforting, just like a baby or any animal. But yelling and screaming or sounding mean, is an agressive tone that, like babies and other animals, can cause them to get scared. It really doesnt matter what the actual words are, that you are saying. Other than words they know, if they manage to learn their name or other things. Nor sure how many beardys learn words, but if you can get them or other animals to associate that tone (word) to a "command" or w/e, then yes i think they can understand it ;-P

EclpsPrinc

Juvie Member
I don't know if mine has just learned the routine or what. But every morning during his soaks, as soon as I tell him 'Let's go potty so you can get out', he cocks his head to look up at me and does the leg spread/butt wiggle. It appears he understands what I'm saying... :wink:

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
They must understand to a point.

If I ask them if they want to go for a ride they will make their way to the corner of their viv closest to me.

If I was to call out Wheezie's name...........Wheezie an only Wheezie will look at me. If I call out Zak's name them Zak is the one that looks at me. :) Note I use the same tone when speaking to either head.

Frank an I goof off and sing to them when we add a beardie name to the song that beardie will look at us.
So they know enough to know their names an I'd say they understand go and ride. :lol:

CoopersGrandma

Juvie Member
i hope so, that they know or understand what we are saying to them in some ways , if not well it isn't going to change a thing in our house . i think the whole zoo understands some of what we are saying . we sing and talk to cooper while he is in the bath especially , helps him/her to stay calm during bath time , yes still not a fan about baths and the debate is still on about he or she . :lol:

I hope so I always talk :) my 4 year old wakes up every morning and sings You're Beautiful ( james blunt) to them they just look at him like we know it lol.!!!!

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
I agree, I think they can understand.
They may not understand all the words that we say, but our tone does make a difference. I talk to Spike all the time. I will have him out to run around the living room and when he starts to go somewhere he isn' supposed to I'm like, "Hey Mr, just where do you think your going?" He stops, looks at me like, "Damn I'm busted!", and turns around.
Sometimes I will feed him crickets while he is running around. He knows the little keeper I keep them in. I'll get one out, and whether he has no interest or he can't wait to chow down, I say, "Get it Bubbies" and he is off eatin up the cricket!
I also think it goes along with them sensing the fact that we aren't going to harm them. They sense out care for them, they can sense this is our words and tones. After a while, I do believe they recognize words.

zebedeepink

Sub-Adult Member
xJaZx":5db73 said:
Oh thats so cute, George the little girl, lol - I love it.

Well George was a boy, or so we thought, until she laid 18 eggs :shock: We tend to call her Georgie now but she really suits her name. I call her my little Angel as well

hvymetalbarbie

Original Poster
aww lol yea i'm not too sure if mine is male or female yet, i gave him a male name, but it could probably work for a female too. well i've learned that my dragon is calm when i talk to him calmly and reassure him i wont hurt him, so i think i'll keep doing that from now on, this is so new to me, i'm not used to a friendship taking so long to b made, but for my dragon, i'll do it :)

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Hehe, what a great discussion!

I don't know if they know what we say or not, but I am most certain they understand our tone of voice. That's for sure.

Esham, the savannah monitor, seems to understand us, to a point. He's a pig, but he knows when we are feeding him or just changing his water.. When we talk to him in a more excited voice, he knows it food time. When we just talk to him calmly, he just looks at us like we are bothering him.

Blazey is still a bit young to read. She is really shy to us, still. I have been trying to handle her more in the end of the day when she is sleepier (per some other posts) and its helping. We will see.

But the cats! Oh.. well.. they know when I yell to ignore me. They know when I get up, run! I'm pretty convinced that our youngest cat, Loki (about 3 y/o) thinks her name means "no". I do call her name and talk to her in a sweet voice, but usually its because she is doing something wrong. She fits her name to a T, she is most certainly mischievous! She's not the brightest crayon, though. Poor little sweet, stupid girl :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom