Water Please read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beanie42

Juvie Member
While I was taking my dragons to the vet back up north where I was raised I found out something

My vet stated that bearded dragons in all respects should live for 20 years in captivity but infact they dont stating the longest she's seen live is 13-14 years, the reason being kidney failure caused by keeping bearded dragons cronically dehydrated.
But how is this possible I ask, as they live in the dessert, she further explains that dragons go out and bask on the mornings and then during the hottest part of the day noonish hide under rocks ect where they can drink water droplets that form under there aswell as the dew from plant in the early mornings and late evening. She thus recommended that bearded dragon should be bathed once daily min.

Now firstly for those of you who think she is wrong I want to tell you know I'm not imposing at all, and I know people give you differant advice where ever you go seeming never ending. I'm simply advising people as i find it upsetting to think of poor bearded dragons crying out desperate for water and unable to tell us thats what they need, while something so simple could possibly double their life expectancy.

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
humm that sounds interesting. . . but i had a water bowl in my tank for a long time, he never touched the thing and doesn't drink in his baths. . . i can see what shes talking about tho and it makes a bit of sense, but its all relative i guess. We can come close to duplicating what they have in the wild, but it will never be exact.

Beanie42

Juvie Member
Original Poster
But even if they don't drink from their baths they are absorbing water through their vents...and as I've been thoroughly making sure since the vet visit that they drink plenty of water i've found out they sneak drink. I put a single drop of water on the tip of their lips and ever so slowly it disappeared checking their face i found no residue and that they had actually drank it...takes ages to water them this way tho lol. :banghead:

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
i know they absorb water through there vent, i was stating the fact mine don't drink out of a water bowl. . .

Beanie42

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Mine don't either lol even though i taught 2 of them how too...they just lazy and want mummy to do it for them. :twisted: evil lizards

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
In order to get good hydration, do they need to be soaked in the bath for awhile? I usually only bathe Turbo (every day) until he poops. That way his tank stays much much cleaner. It has turned into our "after I get home from work ritual". He doesn't like the bath so I just keep him in it until he poops, which is usually within only a couple minutes.

Beanie42

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Most people recommend about 20 mins. My Jamie used to hate baths but if i make it slightly more hotter (only slightly!) than a babies bath he sits and chills out in it sometimes nearly falling asleep.

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
I leave mine in til he poops too ... I figure if the vent is open for the poop to come out then the water will rush in... hehe... but then he gets put in it twice a day. Nooo poop in the viv. He likes it a bit warmer too.

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
when i had first got my beardie i wasnt paying attention to the water temp. . . needless to say he got cold and angry. .Then gave me the beardie death glare. . now i make sure to keep it nice and warm.

Beanie42

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I got one of them baby bath temp things its basically the same strip thing you put on a fish tank but its on a plastic covered paper elephant with swim wear on

threecupsofcoffee

Hatchling Member
I persevered and now spyro loves his bath, i always put a drop on his nose which he licks off. He's always very energetic swimming lengths in the bath, so i know he's well excercised. As he poops immediately i now start him off in a smaller tub and transfer him into the big bath. But up to now i've only given him this once or twice a week because i was worried about over doing the humidity side of things and exposing him to a possible chest infection. what do you think?

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Beardies are very smart an in the wild they would not drink from standing water as it may not be safe. Rather yes they drink the dew from the vegetation in early morning hours. This may be why some will not drink from a dish.... it's standing water. When I use to use a water dish I would have to twirl the water around with my finger inorder to entice them to drink it.

Now I bath my beardies atleast once everyother day..........usually everyday but sometimes not. I also offer water several times a day I just don't use the water dish in the viv anymore. As they rarely use it an it does cause humidity.

So bathing, offering water, and spritzing their veggies real good will keep them hydrated.

Threecupsofcoffee as long as you wrap your beardie in a towel to omit any excess water and put them under their basking light to warm up you can bath more often than you are. All my beardies go to the vet an I have never had any problems with to much humidity or respiritory infections. (Knock on wood)
Just don't put them back into the viv soaking wet. :wink:

Beanie42

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I agree with barbara aslong as they are dried thoroughly i wouldn't worry too much about chest infections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom