German Giant question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie

Hatchling Member
German giants were bred to have a bigger build than the average dragon. The breeder we got ours from said not to be surprised if he gets 28”+ within 6-8 months, as our babie´s father and grandfather are both huge.

kirby

Extreme Poster
Jennie":0d1f1 said:
German giants were bred to have a bigger build than the average dragon. The breeder we got ours from said not to be surprised if he gets 28”+ within 6-8 months, as our babie´s father and grandfather are both huge.

German Giants are Hybrids between the Pogona Vitticeps, and the Pogona Barbata (central and eastern bearded dragons) bred for built, size and robust nature. the 'German giant' was first and most famously made in Germany. some 30-40 years ago when exports were legal. German Giant genes IMO are bred out to minimal amounts. the 'line' GG is mentioned in so many morphs, even tho, there was one GG or GG cross, multiple breedings back. leaving the dragon 1/10 or less pure GG, eg. 1/20 barbata. thats like saying my great, great, grandma was half english, half indian. and i still look english/indian, when the causasian look is very much more dominant over the generations... there are VERY few GG's left (most likely no actual full 50/50 hybrids), as they were quickely bred into high color lines. even fewer actual Barbata's, or even 3/4 barbatas. ;)

easterns grow up to 26" and central up to 23" ... 28" sounds like a sales pitch.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
I posted on Kingsnake about the German giant morph and the mod there said the German giants are just larger morph of Pagona vitticep and no P. barbata in them. I seem to be getting different answers on different forums. :)

1happymommy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the explanation. I was just curious because some ads on craigs list will say the BD is 1/2 GG so I did not know what I would be dealing with if I were to get one. I don't even know if I can have another but I'm always looking.

I

kirby

Extreme Poster
Paradon":62f88 said:
I posted on Kingsnake about the German giant morph and the mod there said the German giants are just larger morph of Pagona vitticep and no P. barbata in them. I seem to be getting different answers on different forums. :)

they are a hybrid ;) tho these days the dragon which claim to be GG or part GG have VERY little Barbata as i mentioned before. it has become more of a 'line booster' s when you have German Giant in your lines, your get more sales. even tho the amount of true GG or barbata is very limited if any.

gregorydragon

Juvie Member
Would someone in the UK have more access to GGs than in the US? Does anyone know about GGs in Australia since they obviously have access to PV and PB?

RedInkAus

Hatchling Member
gregorydragon":2ac88 said:
Would someone in the UK have more access to GGs than in the US? Does anyone know about GGs in Australia since they obviously have access to PV and PB?

G'day,

Aussies don't like outcrossing their dragons it's usually one or the other. Although it does happen, even in the wild where their ranges overlap it's possible for them to interbreed. It happens with our phythons as well.

gregorydragon

Juvie Member
I just had another thought about the 2 species. I wonder if the interbreeding would be similar to the whole "Liger" (Male Lion + Female Tiger) interbreeding in which the offspring is significantly larger than either parent.

kirby

Extreme Poster
RedInkAus":fcbe1 said:
gregorydragon":fcbe1 said:

G'day,

Aussies don't like outcrossing their dragons it's usually one or the other. Although it does happen, even in the wild where their ranges overlap it's possible for them to interbreed. It happens with our phythons as well.

the term isn't 'out crossing'.. this is when you use 'fresh genes' or outsourced dragons from other lines, other then your stock, in your breedings, not inbreeding, hybridising, line breeding.

Most Aussies don't like hybrids in general, mostely because hybrid carpets are sold as localities, etc. or under incorrect names, and their 'pure' diamond, isnt pure etc. etc.

the hybridisation DOES happen in Australia, in captivity i know of two cases of P.Vitticeps and P.barbata this breeding season alone. they arent too popular tho. as when these newbies try it, they usually use low coloured or grey animals. most people want high colours these days, hybrids dragons arent of interest.

I just had another thought about the 2 species. I wonder if the interbreeding would be similar to the whole "Liger" (Male Lion + Female Tiger) interbreeding in which the offspring is significantly larger than either parent.

yes, tiger/lion are from same Family and genus. in the same way Eastern and Central are.

gregorydragon

Juvie Member
So here's my understanding then. The GG lines are so thinned out (in the US anyway) that we are not likely to see a true GG, whatever "true" is since it is a hybrid anyway. The fact that we have really large BDs (23+ inches) is likely due to healthier, happier living thanks to sites like BD.org where people can get tons of information about proper care. Their large size is not specifically attributable to GG bloodlines.

Trogdor80

Hatchling Member
my beardies mom was 1/2 GG. She was like 26" long at 18 months when they first breed her. Most non GG beardies are like less than 20" at that age.

kirby

Extreme Poster
i beleive there has been evidence of 26" long Vitticeps int he wild.

23" IMO is just a character trait, most likely not from GG lines.

when they first created the GG, they used very LARGE and long animals to begin with. it isn't suprising to get an eastern who only grows to an adult size of far less then you average Central. there are alot of variables, and the 23" size, i personally dont think comes from Barbata, purely because whats left of that gene pool is miniscule.

My beardie Garda is 1/2 GG and she is about a year old and 23'' and growing still. I was told she is going to get about 26-28''

kirby

Extreme Poster
Gardori817":d1c9b said:
My beardie Garda is 1/2 GG and she is about a year old and 23'' and growing still. I was told she is going to get about 26-28''

can you proove to me her lines?

i dont think thats entirely true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom