Do Beardies Smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nc2tarheels

I'm a clean freak when it comes to my house. I've been wanting a beardie for around a year now and have been on the board A LOT (reading and not posting). I was wondering if they stink at all. I know people say that dogs/cats/etc don't.....but I'm one of those people that can smell them when I walk in someones house....and I don't wanna be that person that has a "smelly" house. LOL. So can you smell them? :)

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Hah! I quit smoking a while back, and I've gone crazy smelling things since. I have several pets, including cats. I scoop the litter box twice as often now and completely change out the litter way more often now..
Our beardie cage doesn't smell, much. We have to keep the screen top mostly covered to keep the humidity up, so it does seem to get a bit musky in there. Even right after we clean the cage, its still lightly musky. We have a humidifier in there, so she gets plenty of fresh, humidified air.. but it seems that the smell is contained to her cage.
The cricket tank.. that's another story. Crickets stink. There is nothing you can do about it. If you plan on keeping crickets, they will smell. I will be starting a dubia colony asap, and they don't stink. So, I am excited about this...
So, I would say no, they don't stink. Crickets do. If you are a neat freak, then you will keep the enclosure very tidy, and you shouldn't have any problem.

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
Why a humidifier? From all my reading and research,beardies do not need all that much moisture,it can cause a respiratory infection.Some people have even asked about having a water fall in thei vivs and members here have suggested not to have too much humidity because it can cause health problems.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
sara24354":8b873 said:
Why a humidifier? From all my reading and research,beardies do not need all that much moisture,it can cause a respiratory infection.Some people have even asked about having a water fall in thei vivs and members here have suggested not to have too much humidity because it can cause health problems.

Our tank has about 4% humidity without it. It's a cheapy humidifier, and we keep it low, so it only does what we need it to do. I don't know why his tank stays so low.. It must be the fact that there is no substrate or something, since the snake and savannah cages both have proper humidity on their own..

akingsley9000

Gray-bearded Member
To answer your question, the only time i really notice a smell is when they poop. If you have a solid substrate and remove it asap then there is very little if any smell. If you have sand or other loose substrate then yes you will have a smell. Seeing as you are a self proclaimed neat freak, i'm guessing you would go with tile so you should not have a problem.

NegativeCreep":cee14 said:
Our tank has about 4% humidity without it. It's a cheapy humidifier, and we keep it low, so it only does what we need it to do. I don't know why his tank stays so low.. It must be the fact that there is no substrate or something, since the snake and savannah cages both have proper humidity on their own..

How are you measuring the humidity?

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
When people come to our house they are always amazed to see so many set-ups and beardies. Almost all have made some sort of statement about how they can not smell them. Even the News reporter made statements to us about that especially when she noticed that we also are growing several different feeders.

See poop....clean poop....and keep all enclosures clean....including your bugs, an you won't have any problems. :wink:

*If your beardie smells then that is a sign of parasites or it says you use a partical substrate*

EDIT: :oops:

I just noticed that your new to the site.

:wave: Hello & Welcome to BD.org! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom