To buy or not to buy??

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarej

After a good long time my OH has given into the fact that i will be getting a new baby.
Now, after a think im stuck as to what it is i want, there are a few options:

Another Beardie: As everyone says they are like pringles. Joel has really come into his own the last few weeks and has definately made me realise that i would loooooove another one. Although, the house is his and his only, he has full run of it, so im worried that it would be unfair on him to either make him share with another beardie or to restrict his 'out' time.

A Chameleon: I've always been pretty fasinated with these and think it would be awesome to have one but they dont seem as friendly or sociable as beardies and thats what i'd miss.

A Uro: This is a more recent 'want'. They look amazing but ive heard they are pretty difficult to look after.

What do ya think??

BaskingBaby

Sub-Adult Member
Ohhh exciting! Look into Blue Tongue Skinks....I have 1 beardie and 1 BTS and I would get another BTS in a heartbeat. They are really, really interesting reptiles. I find that my BTS has more personality than the beardie (but don't tell him that!) and he seems to be more inquisitive about everything. They don't really have to be fed live food, so that's a plus too. I usually make a slurry of high quality dog food, chopped carrots, chopped collard greens, and whatever other fruits/veggies/meats I have laying around. It lasts me about a week in the fridge. I just feed him once a day (every other day for adults) and he's good to go. He eats like a horse, and is growing like a weed. Their care requirements are really similar to beardies - that's what got me into them. Space requirements are about the same, and temps/lighting are similar. They look like fat little snakes with short, stumpy legs :D

The forum for them is a great place to learn more too - there are different species with different looks to them, but for the most part the care is the same. I have a Northern, which gets to be the biggest at about 24" max. Put it this way, my little guy is about 4 months old and weighs more than my year old beardie :-X

http://bluetongueskinks.net/ (the forum is on the left)

2008_1001Carefresh0037.jpg

2008_1001Carefresh0017.jpg

2008_0906ShedTatsu0002.jpg

Shedding
2008_0816Tatsu0060.jpg

Lil baby picture

Well good luck! I probably went overboard with the info LOL.

Oh and on a side note, before I got a beardie I wanted a chameleon. They are REALLY hard to care for unless you really know what you're doing. The reason I didn't get one is because everyone told me they are more like ornaments...you're not supposed to handle them because it really stresses them out. I'm sure others have more knowledge on this though.

clarej

Original Poster
Not sure i should thank you for adding to my anguish :wink:
He's absolutely gorgeous!! :love10:
Does he like to be out and about very often? Thats kinda what im most worried about, Joel having to share his roaming time with someone(/thing) else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom