BD Slaves who own more than one

Status
Not open for further replies.

1happymommy

Juvie Member
Okay. I have one baby that is 2 months and I'm itching to get another. Should I try to avoid my urges? Will this pass.

I really want a red/orange color dragon. I can't stop searching for one. I even live a few miles from Sandfire Dragon Ranch & want to visit & hopefully buy one. My husband has not said No. But really doesn't want me to get another. We do have 6 pets.

I need to know what the cons are in having two. I know I would not house them together & I'm not worried about the financial aspect of it. We have planty of room. Why do I feel this way? I have not even experienced adulthood with Harley.

gregorydragon

Juvie Member
All i can say is "ditto" with a few subs:
Okay. I have one baby that is 3 months and I'm itching to get another. Should I try to avoid my urges? Will this pass.

I really want a red color dragon. I can't stop searching for one. I even live a few miles from The Dragon Hut & want to visit & hopefully buy one. My wife has not said No. But really doesn't want me to get another. We do have just one pet.

I need to know what the cons are in having two. I know I would not house them together & I'm not worried about the financial aspect of it. We have planty of room. Why do I feel this way? I have not even experienced adulthood with Harley.

1happymommy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
You crack me up! :lol: You are no help at all. I say lets get one and see who gets in more trouble.

amylee159

Gray-bearded Member
I was really worried about getting another beardie. My worry was about spending enough time with both since I go to school full time and work part time. But ever since I rescued my beardie on Monday (I know it hasn't been long lol) I have been able to split my time equally between the two (one 16 months, and one 9 months). I just make one more salad in the morning, one more bowl of worms, clean two more cages, and give two more baths. It's really not that hard. I say go for it! lol

atreyu917

Juvie Member
If you have enough money and room, then go for it! Those are what's holding me back from getting another one...or two....or three for that matter.
I say go for it! The more the merrier. I love my two. I have a normal male, he is 17.5 inches and 2 years old and a little citrus X tangerine female and she is 5 months and about 10 inches.
i love having 2.

Although, I dont think i would buy from sandfire. I work at petco, and we get our dragons from sandfire and they always come in kinda skinny and dont like to eat on their own. Granted, they probably just send them too young, cause they usually coming in at about 4.5 inches. TOO SMALL

gregorydragon

Juvie Member
atreyu917":03365 said:
Although, I dont think i would buy from sandfire. I work at petco, and we get our dragons from sandfire and they always come in kinda skinny and dont like to eat on their own. Granted, they probably just send them too young, cause they usually coming in at about 4.5 inches. TOO SMALL
Interesting! I have seen comments on other forums questioning the practices of sandfire, which is based on the condition in which people receive their dragons. I guess I won't use them. I have to wait a little while anyway. Maybe in late spring as my birthday approaches. :D

atreyu917

Juvie Member
gregorydragon":43a41 said:
atreyu917":43a41 said:
Interesting! I have seen comments on other forums questioning the practices of sandfire, which is based on the condition in which people receive their dragons. I guess I won't use them. I have to wait a little while anyway. Maybe in late spring as my birthday approaches. :D

You wouldn't believe some that we get in. I have had 2 returned in the last couple months that have bacterial infections, and the new owners cages were perfect and wouldnt have caused it. But the babies they send us are just itty bitty. Granted some of the ones they send us do grow up to become beautiful and colorful. I've also heard they have adenovirus in their colonies. I bought my boy from Petco before I started working there and he grew up perfectly fine, but I'm scared to get him tested for adeno and find out he does have it. But i believe the member puppytoes, his dragon Jojo came from petco that got them from sandfire and she has adeno.

1happymommy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I don't need to buy one from them. I'm guessing most of my reptile stores are supplied by them since it's so close and they don't need to ship. I have a friend who actually has a bunch of babies that are part citrus and I don't know what the father is. But I can get them for free but I just love the red colors since my baby will most likely be a light citrus. I'm going nuts. I need to get off this subject and get some housework done before picking up the kids.

Okay, I have been worried about having a female. I'm afraid she might get egg bound & I don't want to go through all that. How often will they lay eggs if not bred. Is it a common problem?

atreyu917

Juvie Member
1happymommy":d79e5 said:
I don't need to buy one from them. I guessing all my reptile stores are supplied by them since it's so close and they don't need to ship. I have a friend who actually has a bunch of babies that are part citrus and I don't know what the father is. But I can get them for free but I just love the red colors since my baby will most likely be a light citrus. I'm going nuts. I need to get off this subject and get some housework done before picking up the kids.

Okay, I have been worried about having a female. I'm afraid she might get egg bound & I don't want to go through all that. How often will they lay eggs if not bred. Is it a common problem?

well I will tell you that mine was supposed to be a citrus X tangerine and she is just getting redder and redder. You wouldnt believe!

Um, and i don't know much about eggbound females. My little 5 month old that i previously mentioned is my first female. From what I have read not all females do it, but it is common. You just have to supplement them with lots of calcium if you have the feeling she may be having a pregnancy (do you even call it that when the eggs aren't fertile?) haha i know little. But you should also get them a dig box if you feel she will lay soon, that way she feels comfortable laying them.

Hopefully someone else can help you out more!

amylee159

Gray-bearded Member
I just got back from the vet and found out my new rescue is actually a female! So now I have 2 girls! He has been great at talking about if they get eggs. If you believe you feel eggs (I guess they are noticable) you just put in a laybox. That way they wont get eggbound. I'm kinda worried about that as well, but I guess there's nothing you can do to prevent it! :roll:

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
1happymommy":6fe5f said:
I have 4 adult females at this time and they are all different with laying eggs as they are with anything else.
They can lay clutches whether fertile or not every 30 days during spring and summer months. Not that they all will just that it is possible.

I have not experienced any egg binding. If they begin to glass dance more than their normal amount
then offer a dig/lay box. Get to know your female well and you will definately see when she is in a panic
about needing a place to dig.
I seem to have a hard time always being able to feel the eggs so I look for change in behavior. :)
1happymommy":6fe5f said:
Okay. I have one baby that is 2 months and I'm itching to get another. Should I try to avoid my urges? Will this pass.

Take it from me it doesn't pass. I had just one for awhile but once you get that itch for a second or more it's over. By the sounds of it you are already addicted to them. :lol:

Jennie

Hatchling Member
1happymommy":5ef45 said:
You crack me up! :lol: You are no help at all. I say lets get one and see who gets in more trouble.

LMAO

You guys almost made me spill my orange juice! :mrgreen:

I had that feeling...and I couldnt take it anymore...and now we have new extreme red x german giant baby who arrived a couple weeks ago; he is a little over 3 months old and over 10inches. We also have a 3 year old femle and just recently had to put down our rescued male due to his past health issues. :cry: But from what I noticed, its not much harder/different than caring for one beardie..

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Hello there,

I know the feeling, I have 3............ if I could make a suggestion...............Baby beardies for the first year are alot of work comparatively to adult beardies, they eat more and frequent, poop more, and not quite as easy to leave for a few days if need be,etc. Have you ever considered an adult that needs re-homing? You can surf craigs list in your state, or the free section here, and maybe find what you want, color, etc. I just rescued a 2 yr old, and she's everything I wanted in a little girl, and now I know she will be cared for. I even have seen babies that people want to re-home for free or a small fee. I was watching for a long time, and now I found my girl............AND I'M STILL LOOKING :shock: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=91221&p=714439#p714439

I do know however, that there is something about raising a beardie from a baby, but you can consider another route with an adult, since you already have 6 other pets, it may be enough to satify your urge........believe me, we all know the feeling.

Bugs and wishes to all,

akingsley9000

Gray-bearded Member
Well i was in the same boat as both of you. I got my little girl in March and by May i was itching for another one. I started looking at breeder sites and then checked craigslist - there was a whole ton of them on there.

I wasn't concerned about color, i just really wanted a second one. My boyfriend didn't say no to the idea but he wasn't thrilled about it either.

I found one that was a male, 7 months old and came with and enclosure for only 150. I made plans to meet with the girl that had him and talked to my boyfriend, his response was - you're going to get him anyway, so it doesn't really matter :roll:

So i went to pick him up.

I was in the most filthy disgusting tank i have ever seen. There was poop everywhere. He had no UVB and no heat because she broke the bulb and never replaced it :angry5: He hadn't been feed in a month. It took me 15 min to be able to pick him him since he hadn't been handled, he was puffing and hissing at me and trying to bite me.

So in finally get him picked up and she says oh yeah my bother decided he wants the tank so we are going to keep it. :angry5:

I found a box in my car to put him in and left as fast as i could.

I got home brought him in the house and realized how bad off he really was. He was still puffing and trying to bite me but he also couldn't walk - he had MBD. When my boyfriend saw him, his only comment was - wow he's lucky you found him.

Within a week, he was my baby. I had to force feed him for 2.5 months and it took him about a month to start walking.

This is him when i first brought him home:
Picture003.jpg

This is him now:
IMG_2411.jpg

He is very small for his age but has grown since i got him, he was 11" (77grams) and he is now 16" (265 grams) but i don't think he will grow much more than he has.

So anyway, my whole point to this ramble is

- yes you should get another one. The urge will not go away.

- when deciding if you want to rescue or buy from a breeder - take into account the health issues that maybe involved with a rescue vs buying a healthy one from a breeder. Babies eat alot more but rescues can take alot of time, energy & patience - typically, it is taking one step forward and 2 steps back.

- if your other half doesn't tell you no - then thats as good as a yes :lol:

- however - before warned - getting another will not satisfy your urge for a 3rd or 4th

We look forward to seeing pictures of your new beardies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom