Small dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

MojoThor

So one of my bearded dragons is about a year old. However, she never really grew much. She 13.5" right now. She eats a lot, just like the other dragons. Greens every day and dusted crickets every day. She also eats superworms, I know they say to wait till shes 16" but she digest them fine. She gets rounder just not really longer, infact right now she looks kinda fat for her length. Anyways, is it ok for her to be this little or does this indicate that something might be wrong? Also, does anyone know of what to feed to help her grow? Thanks for the help.

BrownEyes87

Hatchling Member
MojoThor":a559c said:
So one of my bearded dragons is about a year old. However, she never really grew much. She 13.5" right now. She eats a lot, just like the other dragons. Greens every day and dusted crickets every day. She also eats superworms, I know they say to wait till shes 16" but she digest them fine. She gets rounder just not really longer, infact right now she looks kinda fat for her length. Anyways, is it ok for her to be this little or does this indicate that something might be wrong? Also, does anyone know of what to feed to help her grow? Thanks for the help.

Well ive seen dragons of all shapes and sizes despite size but...If you say she has a healthy apetite and gets all her vits...I wouldnt worry too much. Are you sure you are using a quality uv bulb? Because she could be having a hard time getting significant calcium and thats critical for growing bones.

SobeMC

I have a 14in 2 year old beardie and she eats superworms just fine. Your beardie might not grow much bigger, they should normally stop growing after 2years. At least thats what my vet told me. :p

Elaina

Juvie Member
So my 1 yr 10 month old Might grow more? He's short by the average comparison, either 15 or 17 in (its been awhile since I measured..but I know he is one of those) He hasn't gotten longer since I got him, I don't think, so I wonder if he's done.

BaskingBaby

Sub-Adult Member
Zander is a little over a year old and only about 15" long too. He's always had perfect care, and has always ate like a horse. He's nice and fat and healthy, just small. He's been on supers since he was about 13" and has done great on them. I guess genetics plays a role in this as well as care.

Elaina

Juvie Member
He's not got parasites, tho we have been fighting yellow fungus awhile. I always have my beardies checked out.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
Well, there are runts in every clutch. If he is eating fine, I wouldn't worry about it, though. Bearded stop going through growth spurt around 18 months old, but reptiles grow throughout their lives...just very, very slowly once they reach maturity. I don't think you should be judging a dragon from the length that much. You should try to monitor the weight to see if he or she is healthy. I would get the digital scale that measures the weight in grams and keep track of your dragon weight to monitor their health. If he/she is loosing to much weight, I'd start to get worried. I know of some juvies that almost as long as some adults, but weight a lot less, so it's not the length you should be worried about. It's the weight of your dragon. Hope this help! :)

My dragon is only about 13 inches also. She is 1 1/2 years old. As I'm a second owner I have no idea what kind of care she previosley recieved. She is fat like you said your's is so I'm not very concerened. Another idea is that she could be a lawson/rankin dragon but I posted in that section and didn't look like she was.....just a small beardie!

Elaina

Juvie Member
Right- worry about the weight. Length doesn't matter, tho I think we all feel good when we think we have a "big" dragon because it makes us think we're doing well for them. I'm Stewie's 2nd owner, and the first owner said he wouldn't eat crix, so he started feeding him pinkies :shock: Maybe you'd think he'd be bigger with that kind of food, but his weight has always (when not fighting an illness) been healthy, he's just kinda short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom