Russian Tortoise Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poisoned1

Gray-bearded Member
Since nobody looks down there...

Right now I have a 55 gallon rubbermaid container, with 1 third bed a beast, with hay on top and 2 thirds sad with an MVB(mega ray) bulb to provide heat and uv light.

I was wondering I live in an apartment on the third floor and curious to see if I could put a plastic kiddie pool outside with play sand and the bed a beast part.

Just wondering if this would work, I live in Phoenix arizona, right now with winter coming up we are looking at 85 day time temperatures, with 65 degrees at night.

Your thoughts please, thanks really appreciate it.

Oh my russian tortoise's name is Donnie, she's so cute and small(aren't they all) on a diet of mustard greens/collard greens/turnip greens and occasionally carrots., with sprinkling of calcium + D3. Had slight MBD but that is going away also had pin worms but those are gone.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

auntylolo

Extreme Poster
Sorry I can't help, but you could try pm'ing patsy (k9kidslove) as I'm pretty sure she's got loads of torts including russians.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
Tortoises are much harder to keep than beardies. They have specialized diet which should be high fiber, low protein plants. Which means you have to feed them hays, edible wild flowers and weeds and lawn grass. Furthermore, they need to be outside when weather permits and allow to cool down to hibernate. If you do not hibernate they can become seriously ill and go off food and may eventually died. Here is a good link about how to keep tortoises and turtles: http://www.anapsid.org/mainchelonians.html Hope you find it useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom