Handling Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

KruegerZ

So Drama still does not like to be held, which i need help with :( So how do i go about getting him to get comfortable with actually staying in my hand and not running off when i try to pick him up? Thank you.

i had a hard time with mine when i first got him and even now he still likes to run sometimes, it just takes time and you have to continue to handle them regularly, i dunno if anyone else has better advice but for me it just took time and just needing to get used to me. hopefully that helps a little =)

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hi there,
We adopted an adult beardie who'd never been handled so I'll help pass on some tips I used that helped me tame the beast!

- hand feed him. he needs to know your hands arent scary & you are the bringer of yumminess.
- when you pick him up flatten your hand infront of his head and leave it there a moment so he can see your not going to pounce on him. Then slide it under him. Dex used to freak if we picked him up any other way.
- try handling him just before lights-out when he's sleepy and unlikely to struggle, and dont do it for long. He'll soon realise being good means he can go back in his viv. Dont put him back in if he scratches and wiggles. He'll learn he can escape this way and it'll take longer to break the habit.

Hope this helps.
Dex took about 2-3 weeks to tame so be patient and good luck x

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Have you tried the beardie burrito? About 10 min or so after his lights are out, when he is too cool and drowsy to fight, take him out and wrap in a soft "blankie". You can use anything soft. Most of us make a blanket of some sort from a piece of fleece. Some use hand towels or wash cloths if the dragon is small. After he is wraped hold him against your chest and stroke him softly, and talk softly to him. Katherine sings lullabys to Bogie, it's too sweet. :D Most of them tame right up this way. Good luck.

Sandy H

atreyu917

Juvie Member
I am right there with you. My 5 month old, Yoshi hates being held. Lately when I feed her I take her out of her tank and hand feed her supers. that way coming out of the tank means goodies. It seems to have helped a bit, but I figure she'll calm with age.

BennyBoy

Juvie Member
I'm honestly not that experienced with that myself because I got my beardie from a breeder who held the beardies a lot so. yeah.
but what I've heard is you just approach them slowly so they know that your not an enemy or something. let em run around for about 10 minutes as much as they want just so they have an idea of their surroundings and stuff. also you can hand feed him, give him baths and stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom