Whoa- is Lennon a chick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxers

Hatchling Member
Sooo, not sure if you know us yet, but my boyfriend and I have two beardies, about two months old each now. Razual is his, Lennon is mine.

We upgraded them to their proper twenty gallon tanks today, and put them on top of my new, longer dresser. They have both been arm waving incessantly. We assumed this was because of the new surroundings, that since they were up off the ground now, they were a bit nervous to be seeing more of peoples' faces than feet.

But, maybe half an hour ago, we just sort of realized that they were looking at each other! I didn't think they could see that far, but we put an experimentary piece of paper between them, and the behaviors stopped. Took it down, they started again. So no coincidence apparently.

The curious part was this; during all this waving, Lennon began to slowly do a few push-ups. At first we thought they were head bobs... but then he(??) raised himself up on his toes, came back down, and did it again.

So! I'm wondering, do male dragons ever do push-ups, or do I have a female? Is this a for sure way to tell? I checked under the tail and sort of guessed that he was a boy, but I have no experience so I don't doubt that I did it wrong. If I posted a picture, could anyone tell at this age?

( For the record, I'm not biased against females or anything, just surprised by this activity. I'll still keep him if he's a her and all. :D )

LJean

Extreme Poster
It is hard to tell at that age what sex they are. Have they always been tank to tank so to speak? They not only have good eye sight but I bet instinct and smell too. ;)

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
How old and big are they? 20 gallons seems really small unless they are only babies 6" or 7" long.

If you can't figure out what sex they are, you can post pics of their vent holding up the tail and someone on this forum can tell you.

Both males and females do arm waving and head bobbing so the behaviour is normal for both. It's mostly species recognition and displays of dominance. My beardie tries to arm wave at the yard lizards when I take him outside.

boxers

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
They did not used to be tank to tank; before, they were on opposite sides of the bed because that was the only space in the bedroom. Now, both sit comfortably on top of the new dresser that got put in yesterday. And now, they can apparently see/hear/smell (?) each other when there is not a piece of paper in the way, haha. Should we leave the paper up? Or let them communicate with each other? Richie thought they might be stressing out, since they were waving (and push-up'ing!) for like an hour or two.

Yes, they are still babies. Razual just hit 7", and Lennon is still right below it, at 6.75".
I did read that the waving and bobbing were normal for both, but it only mentioned push-ups as a female behavior, mostly during breeding season...? I don't think they're old enough, and I thought Lennon was a boy until he did this. Which was why I posted the bulletin. :?

boxers

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Now I saw Razual doing the push-ups, and he was sexed by the breeders before we purchased him.
What's going on here :shock:

LJean

Extreme Poster
They are just trying to make you crazy. :D

They are still young and may show signs of both sexes with their behavior.

boxers

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh :lol:

Well that's good to know, that it's normal. It has been pretty confusing.
So now I'm wondering, should we leave up the dividing paper, or should we let them see each other all day if that's what they want to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom