Stuffed beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownEyes87

Hatchling Member
As far as I know, Brian hasent eaten a THING today. (unless hes snuck a few nibbles of his salad w/o me seeing)

Yesterday he ate a total of i believe 5 mealworms and a few crickets and some salad...And today, a grand total of nothing. Ive tried to entice him with a meal worm and crickets to no avail. He did, on the bright side, have a nice bowl movement. (thank goodness - from everything he had yesterday i presume)

On the even more positive note, all his stress marks have disappeared.
Could he just be really full from yesterday evening?
It is now 9:30pm...I would imagine he just be a little tiny bit hungry?

I am at a loss...

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
how old is your beardie? how long have you had him? has he shed recently? from what i hear some beardies lose their appetite right before a shed.

BrownEyes87

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
h0ndap0w3r":b12d5 said:
how old is your beardie? how long have you had him? has he shed recently? from what i hear some beardies lose their appetite right before a shed.

Im not 100% positive but Brian is only about 6 -7 and a half inches.
Ive had him just over one week.
As for shedding, I have noticed some skin starting to come off under his chin and side of his head...But its gone now.

I am looking at him as i write you this and he is merrily basking on his log, head pointing in the direction of the light.

BrownEyes87

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Im gonna try and coax him into eating again...Wiggle a cricket in his face and see what happens. :idea:

BrownEyes87

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
No such luck...turns his head away from it each time :cry:
I just dont understand him...He can be such a picky eater.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
You haven't had him very long.. Mine didn't want to eat while I watched for a long time; she still doesn't really. She also doesn't like to be handled or eat very much when she is about to shed. She sheds a lot, since she grows a lot. I wouldn't worry about it very much right now. Some say their BDs will only eat when hand fed, but mine won't even think about taking food from me. She will practically jump in my hand when I reach for her, and climb my arm when I return her to her cage, but she won't take food from me..

I would give it a day or two before you really worry..

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Hello, welcome to BD.org. I think your baby is prob just going through relocation stress. :) Most of them do this when moved to a new home or even a new viv in their old home. He may take up to two weeks to adjust. Just give him a little time.
You may want to read up on the care sheets listed at the top of the page while he settles in. The one by Beautiful dragons is highly reccomended. Please don't give him meal worms while he is so tiny. They are mostly shell and not nutricious. Small crix are great and Phoenix worms are even better. Get them at phoenixworms.com. They don't charge for shipping!
Good luck with your new little one.

Sandy H

BrownEyes87

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
NegativeCreep":c70ef said:
You haven't had him very long.. Mine didn't want to eat while I watched for a long time; she still doesn't really. She also doesn't like to be handled or eat very much when she is about to shed. She sheds a lot, since she grows a lot. I wouldn't worry about it very much right now. Some say their BDs will only eat when hand fed, but mine won't even think about taking food from me. She will practically jump in my hand when I reach for her, and climb my arm when I return her to her cage, but she won't take food from me..

I would give it a day or two before you really worry..

Some days he'll eat just fine, and others he completely leaves me desperate - thats what worries me so much.

BrownEyes87

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
protiemama":fdf1e said:
Hello, welcome to BD.org. I think your baby is prob just going through relocation stress. :) Most of them do this when moved to a new home or even a new viv in their old home. He may take up to two weeks to adjust. Just give him a little time.
You may want to read up on the care sheets listed at the top of the page while he settles in. The one by Beautiful dragons is highly reccomended. Please don't give him meal worms while he is so tiny. They are mostly shell and not nutricious. Small crix are great and Phoenix worms are even better. Get them at phoenixworms.com. They don't charge for shipping!
Good luck with your new little one.

Sandy H

Will do, ill certainly try those worms!
as for the meal worms - i got young ones that were still white as to not be so crunchy and hard - plus i cut them up in peices just in case.

Hopefully by morning he'll be absolutely starving and eat like a pig and make my day. Im keeping my fingers crossed.

BrownEyes87

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Just a heads up - there IS a shipping cost to ordering those worms, and you also have to order a minimal order of $100.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
BrownEyes87":cb50b said:
Some days he'll eat just fine, and others he completely leaves me desperate - thats what worries me so much.

I still wouldn't worry so much. Mine did the same thing, and she wouldn't eat while I watched. She is just now starting to eat greens. Some days, when I first got her, she would eat a cricket or two, some times, she would just ignore me. I would give her more time, it's not likely he will let himself starve.

Get some Phoenix Worms, they are great (much more nutritional and safer), they wiggle and Blazey loves them.
Ditch the meal worms.. I don't mind ordering online, but there is another brand called Calci Worms you can get at Petco. They are more expensive, though..

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
BrownEyes87":4148a said:

Dexter is a rescue and was very poorly fed so has always been a fussy little devil.
Some days he will devour anything in sight. Some days he'll only eat his locust. Some days he'll only eat when hand fed and some days he refuses completly.
I know its scary when they turn down food (i still mini panic every single time) but its only something to worry about if its gone on for a number of days.
I think Dex does it just because I make a huge fuss of her every time.

Sometimes changing their salad for fruit or something fragrant like rocket leaf helps to get them curious.
Also I take the food and salad out of her viv at night so she learns that when the foods put in her viv its time to eat. Usually they've worked up an appetite over night anyway.

Hope your little one starts behaving.

Holly & Dexter

BrownEyes87

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Dr. Phoenix":75b68 said:
Just a quick correction, there is NO SHIPPING CHARGE and NO MINIMUM ORDER at http://www.phoenixworm.com. As many of you know, you can buy 4 cups of any size Phoenix Worms for $26 at The Phoenix Worm Store (400 or 600 worms, depending upon size ordered).

Craig Sheppard, Ph.D.
President, Insect Science Resource
Professor Emeritus, UGA
http://www.phoenixworm.com

Im up north, and this is the page i see when i try to order the worms.
http://www.recorp.ca/order.html

BrownEyes87

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
A quick update everyone :

Brian is STILL not eating. He did however, have another bowl movement that looked just fine.

He will be a day and a half soon without eating...Sons really are put on this earth to torture their moms... :(

He just lays on his log and basks all day - head pointing to the light as if all is well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom