Stuffed beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
It sounds almost like your feeding him really late in the evening. . . what kind of light cycle are you running? 12-14 hours i believe it is?

I run mine off of timers that come on at 8am, and turn off at 9pm. I feed them once in the morning, and once in the early afternoon, then i leave some PW's in the tank for them to snack on if need be. I only do this last part because i have class later at night when i used to feed them.

But lights go on at 8am, i feed them around 10am, let them sit around till about 1130-12 and give them a bath or whatever need be. Then they get a second feeding around 2-3 depending on what time i have to leave for class.

when i'm not in school, they usually get fed around 11, 2nd at around 5

i try to keep the feedings in the middle of their day, so their hungry when they wake up.

personally my beardie gets really really lazy after 8, and from what ive read you aren't supposed to feed them with less then 2-3 hours of light left. They need to properly digest their food.

BrownEyes87

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
h0ndap0w3r":19720 said:
It sounds almost like your feeding him really late in the evening. . . what kind of light cycle are you running? 12-14 hours i believe it is?

I run mine off of timers that come on at 8am, and turn off at 9pm. I feed them once in the morning, and once in the early afternoon, then i leave some PW's in the tank for them to snack on if need be. I only do this last part because i have class later at night when i used to feed them.

But lights go on at 8am, i feed them around 10am, let them sit around till about 1130-12 and give them a bath or whatever need be. Then they get a second feeding around 2-3 depending on what time i have to leave for class.

when i'm not in school, they usually get fed around 11, 2nd at around 5

i try to keep the feedings in the middle of their day, so their hungry when they wake up.

personally my beardie gets really really lazy after 8, and from what ive read you aren't supposed to feed them with less then 2-3 hours of light left. They need to properly digest their food.

Yes i understand, but Brian will simply NOT eat in the morn or afternoon - not for anything. And im finding that when i have any luck, its usually in the evening. But that said, i do leave my light on for at least 2 hrs after hes eaten anything because i do want him to digest it as much as possible. I just work with what he gives me. Today he did eat in the morn after his soak so...Off to a good start today, we'll see how it all goes. I am depending on the mega ray ordered to help improve his appetite.

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
Hopefully the mega ray will help, i myself have ordered a T-rex bulb. But have you tried feeding him before the soak? mine usually gets cold and lazy after his soak, even if i keep the water warm.

BrownEyes87

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
h0ndap0w3r":8a83c said:
Hopefully the mega ray will help, i myself have ordered a T-rex bulb. But have you tried feeding him before the soak? mine usually gets cold and lazy after his soak, even if i keep the water warm.

Oh believe me, before after and in between. Ive been having such a hard time with him...its been terrifying to say the least.

But just ten minutes ago i managed to feed him another 2 crickets. As insignificant as that sounds - its actually an improvement. I think shutting off his zila has actually been a really good thing. It was obviously doing more harm than good. The mega ray just cant get here soon enough, tho...

Wish me luck!! Thankyou for your input, i greatly appreciate it.

BrownEyes87

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
h0ndap0w3r":1a21d said:
Your welcome, i tried to help out a lil bit, sounds like u got a temperamental beardie. Best of luck to you

Hes an absolute angel. Wonderful to handle and is very affectionate in that sence. His only trouble is his eating habits - that hardly exist. Right now i just cut up a horn worm and fed him the juices - he wouldnt take a bite. Two hours ago i managed to feed him 4 crickets...And in the morn a few more. He seems like hes getting a little better - i just know ill sleep easier when my bulb comes in.

I just want to see him chubby and happy.

Laurmann2000

Juvie Member
BrownEyes87":e02a0 said:
Hes an absolute angel. Wonderful to handle and is very affectionate in that sence. His only trouble is his eating habits - that hardly exist. Right now i just cut up a horn worm and fed him the juices - he wouldnt take a bite. Two hours ago i managed to feed him 4 crickets...And in the morn a few more. He seems like hes getting a little better - i just know ill sleep easier when my bulb comes in.

I just want to see him chubby and happy.

He sounds just like Tank. So sweet and loving but was a terrible eater. I do believe the Megaray will make a big difference and your little guy will be chubby in no time flat. At least it worked with Tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom