Inherited a female Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucki

I'm hopping someone out there can help me. I have inheited a 16 inch. female Beardie, however I was wondering if there is a way to determine her age. I don't know much on were she came from due to the fact that she was taken in a puppy mill rade. I work for a vet that deals with exotic pets. I have read quite a bit on them in the past few days. I have no real trouble handling her. I just want to make sure I'm feeding her enough and with all I've read I'm a little confussed :cry:

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
It's hard to tell how old she is just by looking at her. At 16 inches she could be a large juvenile/subadult or she could be a full grown adult dragon (my 2 yr old female is only 16 inches).

Regardless of how old she is, you'll want to give her a large daily salad that's mostly dark leafy greens (collard greens, dandelion greens, endive, escarole, turnip greens, mustard greens, etc.) with veggies and a bit of fruit mixed in for variety. There's a helpful food list available at http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

The area where age makes a difference is in live food. A young dragon eats much more live food than an adult dragon does. For instance, with a growing dragon her size you could safely give 10-20 superworms a day, while an adult should only have 25-30 supers a week.

You could try feeding here the increased amount of food as if she were a juvenile for a month or two and keep a close eye on her weight and length. If she doesn't get any longer then it's pretty safe to say that she's an adult who is done growing. If she is a juvenile after all, the extra food will allow her to continue growing in length.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom