pooped on log, what do i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dooshie

scarlett made poopy on her log and she never poops on there. do i rinse it off with boiling water, or should i rinse it with boiling water and bake it again? this log has been baked before twice.

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
i washed mine with anti-bacterial soap and hot water, scrubbing it with a rough sponge. i thoroughly rinsed it several times before setting it out in the sun to dry. after about 30minutes it had no trace of poop, soap or moisture.

a tiny bit of the bark came off, perhaps a teaspoon worth of pieces. over all it worked pretty well i think.

maxattack

Juvie Member
You know, I've always heard that sun has antibacterial properties. I wonder if there is any research that tells you how long to leave a poopy log in the sun to kill off the bacteria?

EclpsPrinc

Juvie Member
You can also simply scrub with really hot water, then place in oven @ 300 degrees for about 15-20 mins. That will kill any bacteria. I generally do this weekly whether they've pooped on it or not.

nesta's mommy

Sub-Adult Member
quick question: i have a few rzilla products (nesta's climbing stand as well as her basking spot) i was wondering if i can even bake those...... won't the paint come off?

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
nesta's mommy":0c888 said:
quick question: i have a few rzilla products (nesta's climbing stand as well as her basking spot) i was wondering if i can even bake those...... won't the paint come off?
I have a fake log and the corner hide and I just boil them so far none of the paint has come off.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
nesta's mommy":2a327 said:
but have you baked them at all?

and how long do you boil for?
I have a x-large porcelin stock pot that I boil most of my beardie furniture, dishes, rocks or tiles in for about 10 minutes at full boil.
I only bake the pieces that are to large for the stock pot. If it is the products that feel like a baked clay like some of the beardie dishes I think they would become brittle if baked probably better to boil. :)

nesta's mommy

Sub-Adult Member
i'm gonna try to find the website and see if i can show you exactly which ones they are... only because they are fairly larger pieces.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
nesta's mommy":d4a02 said:
these are two of them and the other one (which i just so happen to not be able to find on the internet) is able to fit in a pot so i can boil it!

http://www.zilla-rules.com/products/dcor/basking-platform-ramps.htm
This one I think you can bake but I'd still not want to do it to often as it may become brittle after several times. I would put it in the tub or sink and pour boiling water over it just to be safe.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752585
Stone cave ornament constructed of durable poly-resin is safe for all freshwater & saltwater aquariums, terrariums & reptile.

This one I would not bake because it is made of poly-resin I don't think it can take the heat of 300* for 15-20 minutes. I would put it in the sink and pour boiling water over it.

nesta's mommy

Sub-Adult Member
fresnowitte":86996 said:
nesta's mommy":86996 said:
these are two of them and the other one (which i just so happen to not be able to find on the internet) is able to fit in a pot so i can boil it!

http://www.zilla-rules.com/products/dcor/basking-platform-ramps.htm
This one I think you can bake but I'd still not want to do it to often as it may become brittle after several times. I would put it in the tub or sink and pour boiling water over it just to be safe.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752585
Stone cave ornament constructed of durable poly-resin is safe for all freshwater & saltwater aquariums, terrariums & reptile.

This one I would not bake because it is made of poly-resin I don't think it can take the heat of 300* for 15-20 minutes. I would put it in the sink and pour boiling water over it.

Barbara,

thank you so much for your help. i do plan on putting them in the tub and pouring boiling water over it, but will that be enough to disinfect fully?

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
nesta's mommy":c4654 said:
but will that be enough to disinfect fully?

It should be sufficent. This is what I've done with pieces of wood that are to big to put into my stock pot to boil or into the oven. With some of the large items if you do have a large pot you could boil one end then flip it around and emerge the other end. Make sure you have a sturdy pair of tongs to do this with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom