What Made You Pick YOUR Beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mommy of Sunny

Juvie Member
I know some people adopt or rescue....

But if you had a choice of your beardie and another one, why did you pick yours over another one?

I have a cute story why I picked Sunny.

We were going to pick out a beardie for Christmas for my step-son. Got to the store and there was a tank with several baby beardies. Most were in the tree or relaxing, but (soon-to-be) Sunny, was up near the glass. When I put my finger up to the glass, he came up close. I dragged my finger down the length of the tank and he followed it. Like he was chasing my finger.

After that...he was MINE!!!

stephenrose06

Hatchling Member
I was at a pet store, looking at the lizards, and Draco just came up to the front of the cage and acted like he wanted me to get him when the others just didn't want to be bugged.

Poisoned1

Gray-bearded Member
I looked for the most alert dragon, that had all his appendages, and didn't look tiny.

That's how I got my swatke.

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
I went to a breeder and had a choice between 2 of the males. Turbo was the first one I held and he happened to be the bigger, more citrusy one and I fell in love instantly. I never put him down. Didn't even really look at the other. He just so happened to be the first reptile ive ever held as well as the first bearded dragon, and well, only one so far!

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Mommy of Sunny":a3915 said:
I know some people adopt or rescue....

Got to the store and there was a tank with several baby beardies. Most were in the tree or relaxing, but (soon-to-be) Sunny, was up near the glass. When I put my finger up to the glass, he came up close. I dragged my finger down the length of the tank and he followed it. Like he was chasing my finger.

After that...he was MINE!!!

Thats funny, thats the same way I got Waffle. There were only 2 to choose from though. One was hanging out in the tree, and the other one followed me from one end of that tank to the other, it was the cutest thing. Even my BF and the shop guy noticed it. The other beardie had more color, but I had to have the one that picked me.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I had asked to see the two smallest babies (who were hiding in the back of the tank, behind a rock). When the girl came out with two teeny tiny babies, I almost broke down and got both. The one with the pretty patterns was sitting on my right hand, while the one with the bright red/orange colors was on my left. Knowing I could only get one, I had decided on the little guy on the right. After a minute of watching both of them, and talking to them, I quickly changed my mind and set on the guy on my left. Why? Because the baby on my right was too busy checking out the entire room and everything that moved, but not me. The baby on the left, however, was looking at me the entire time and actually did the butt wiggle right before getting comfy in the pocket of my palm. So, that's how he came to be Pookie! He was mine even before I knew it.

1happymommy

Juvie Member
Well I had a tank full to choose from so first I looked for a color that caught my eye and then I picked up a few. I actually marked the bottom of his tail with a sharpie. Then 2 days later when I went to visit him, it had shed off so I marked another one.

Not sure if it was the same one because there were like eight of them. So I marked again and the same thing happened. So I marked another and came back a 3rd time and the mark was still there. I picked him up and he fell asleep in my hand.

I could not resist him. Now we have Harley who is 6 weeks. He is so cute.

I just got my first Bearded Dragons about 4 days ago. I got a pair from PetCo. I checked out all the BDs in the cage for about an hour before I made my pick. I picked out the two that seemed the most alert. And they were both hanging out on the same branch together so I knew they would get along fine. I still don't know whether they are male or female yet though
100_6756.jpg

100_6754.jpg

amylee159

Gray-bearded Member
Well my co-worker had got me interested about beardies since she had two at home. She had mentioned that the local petstore had a handful of babies. I went in there every couple days or so and just checked them out. And finally on that warm September day I went in with my mom 'just to look at them!'. By then there were only 2 babies left. There was a larger one (with blueish sidebars) and one a little smaller with more redish tones. I picked up the larger baby, and it was love at first sight! The lady who worked at the petstore was holding the other baby, and honestly I didn't even take a second look at it. Dudlee (the larger baby with the blueish sidebars) just stole my heart! And I paid for her that day!

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
the first dragon i brought home was a total rescue. though there were about half a dozen to choose from, he was the only one i had my eye on. he was huddled in the corner badly maimed, it looked as though it had just happened. there were still a couple crickets in the cage so i think it was a feeding gone wrong. i thought he was dead until he opened his eyes, which sent me into a hurried panic. i quickly got the store owner and told him to take him out, that he was still alive.

i held him in my hand and almost cried. he was so ripped up, all of his arms and legs appeared to be gone. i asked the store owner what he was going to do to save the little guy. he coldly replied "oh, when lizards get mortaly wounded its best to euthanize them immediately. the freezer is the most humane way, they just go to sleep"... i was blown away. i couldnt even comprehend how he could let this happen then throw this poor innocent life away. i was totally put on the spot; an "if you dont take this lizard im going to kill him right now" kinda thing... so i reasoned with him that since he was going to freeze the dragon anyhow, he should give me the thing for free. the store owner nervously and without a fight accepted(fear of ASPCA). he even gave me a kritter keeper to take him home in.

well, about a year later and i have my little guy(LG) all fixed up:
100_4475.jpg

hes got his own 40gallon enclosure with all the amenities.

i have two other dragons but since they were the only two in the store they dont apply to this thread(tho i still care for them just as deeply).

this thread is a good idea. its cool to hear how we all came to have the dragons that we pamper so much :mrgreen: .

Mommy of Sunny

Juvie Member
Original Poster
JSCOTT, I like your story the best. And I would have done the same thing. I love the underdog...the ones that one else would want. That was a great story that tugged at my heart strings!

Thanks for sharing your stories everyone. What a nice response.

redline

well there were 2 dragons in the shop one was a little bigger and then there was bundy, the bigger one was on the rock and didnt even open his eyes when i got to them but bundy was down the front checking me out and parading around. he seemed to have more personality and some spunk about his actions so i asked was he eating and drinking? she showed me that he ate some crickets and some roaches and that was it he was chosen (or was it me that was chosen) :blob5: :blob5: :blob5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom