www.dachiu.com question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tecky

Has anybody purchased a beardie from here?

Could anybody give me any details? They seem like great people to buy from, I just want to know if anyone here has purchased from this site, and knows of any issues or complaints about the site.

midnight_962002

Sub-Adult Member
Rob and Vickie are nice people and very friendly to deal with...when you get a hold of them. I have never purchased a beardie from them but, that doesn't mean I won't

Ernie

Astrael

Juvie Member
John and I got both Nexus and Loki (our new baby beardie) from Dachiu. When we got Nexus, we'd been having trouble with UPS. Long story short, UPS lost Nexus and we woke Vickie up at 10 PM and she called UPS and lit a fire under them (figuratively) and finally, at almost midnight they found him on an international shipping truck.

She really was dedicated to seeing him reach his home safely. And even two years later, she remembered us and was happy to hear Nexus was doing well. She took the time to really listen and answer all our questions.

We also have a friend in the area who drove out to them (almost a 4 hour trip from here) and purchased a baby. He said the place was amazing. He was extremely impressed.

Both Nexus and Loki ate well from the beginning. They never had any relocation stress, and they're wonderful pets (though Loki definitely lives up to his name, he's got a mischievious streak). You couldn't ask for beardies with better personalities. :D Yes, so I've only got positive things to say. It's definitely worth giving them a call.

ilovebeardeddragons

Gray-bearded Member
i was gonna buy from them but someone on her told me thta all there breeders have illnesses i forgot what kind but they all have it she said

Tecky

Original Poster
Astrael":26282 said:
John and I got both Nexus and Loki (our new baby beardie) from Dachiu. When we got Nexus, we'd been having trouble with UPS. Long story short, UPS lost Nexus and we woke Vickie up at 10 PM and she called UPS and lit a fire under them (figuratively) and finally, at almost midnight they found him on an international shipping truck.

She really was dedicated to seeing him reach his home safely. And even two years later, she remembered us and was happy to hear Nexus was doing well. She took the time to really listen and answer all our questions.

We also have a friend in the area who drove out to them (almost a 4 hour trip from here) and purchased a baby. He said the place was amazing. He was extremely impressed.

Both Nexus and Loki ate well from the beginning. They never had any relocation stress, and they're wonderful pets (though Loki definitely lives up to his name, he's got a mischievious streak). You couldn't ask for beardies with better personalities. :D Yes, so I've only got positive things to say. It's definitely worth giving them a call.

Awesome. I'll definitely be looking into purchasing something from them. :)

jeitzen

Juvie Member
midnight_962002":3cea3 said:
Rob and Vickie are nice people and very friendly to deal with...when you get a hold of them. I have never purchased a beardie from them but, that doesn't mean I won't

Ernie

Kind of a back handed remark considering you have not purchased anything from them.

Dachiu have an excellent selection of animals and excellent customer service.

kwik8

Hatchling Member
I have bought two dragons from Rob and Vicki. I picked all of them up and I can say firsthand that they are very dedicated and do an amazing job taking care of all the Dragons they have(which is a LOT believe me). I call and am told to come on over. The enclosures are all spotless and each dragon looks very well cared for and colored up. They know each and every dragon, its color morph, background and where it came from if not from an in house pairing. Both of the dragons I have from them eat anything and everything I put into the cages, grow very quickly and have great coloration. Oh and I paid very good prices for them in reference to what others charge for similar colored animals. I call them whenever I have a question and have never had any problem getting through to them. I can tell you this also, if you see a dragon on the available page on http://www.dachiu.com that is exactly what you are getting. Hope that helps. Chris.

Lunamatron

Juvie Member
ilovebeardeddragons":d75e9 said:
i was gonna buy from them but someone on her told me thta all there breeders have illnesses i forgot what kind but they all have it she said

I also read that people that got their BDs from them turned out to have adenovirus and that they do not actively test. Now given that AV stays dormant until times of stress or illness, that may or may not be an issue to you. However, I found quite a few posts on this forum and others stating that Diachu doesn't believe AV is a problem. That was enough to steer me away considering babies get stressed very easily.

Not trying to start any problems. Just letting you know what I found while looking for a reputable breeder.

jeitzen

Juvie Member
In the Beardied Dragon community their is a rift and that rift has to do with thoughts and concerns of adeno virus.

Lunamatron

Juvie Member
I can see where the "rift" comes from considering many BDs live their lives out with AV and never experiencing any symptoms. But when they do have symptoms it is never any good. So the decision to buy from a breeder that doesn't seem concerned with AV or to test a newly acquired animal is a personal decision. To tell you the truth, I don't know where I stand on the topic. I tested my male when he wasn't eating and it came out negative, but neither of my two babies have been tested and I doubt I will unless I see an issue. They are all housed seperately and I won't get rid of them if they test positive so i don't see the point.

I guess what I read rubbed me the wrong way a steered me away from that specific breeder. It's one thing to say that the animals aren't tested. It's another to know it's there and completely ignore it even once there are reports of potentially infected animals. If I am going to spend a couple hundred dollars on an animal I want to know that the breeder has the same concerns as I do.

jeitzen

Juvie Member
They have a disclaimer on their site stating they do not test, but will refund monies for positive animals if returned in 6 weeks. Located here at the bottom;

http://www.dachiu.com/beardeddragons/information.html

**Our breeders and currently available dragons have not been tested for adenovirus. Adenovirus is believed to be present in many/most bearded dragons, including ours. For those of you who wish to test - a positive tested animal may be returned to us within 6 weeks and a refund issued for the purchase price. *We do not refund shipping fees or testing costs.

Special T

Hatchling Member
Lunamatron":4c791 said:
I guess what I read rubbed me the wrong way a steered me away from that specific breeder. It's one thing to say that the animals aren't tested. It's another to know it's there and completely ignore it even once there are reports of potentially infected animals. If I am going to spend a couple hundred dollars on an animal I want to know that the breeder has the same concerns as I do.

Dachiu is very forthright about their position on Adeno; you can find it easily on their web site. They also document the research they've done on Adeno, which appears to be considerable. So I don't think it's fair to say they aren't concerned about it or are ignoring it -- that may be the way it's implied by some of their critics, but I have never seen Dachiu say first hand that they don't think it's an issue.

They do say that (I think I have the major points right here; feel free to read the first hand account) they believe its effects are often exaggerated, and that it is prevalent enough in the captive bearded dragon population that a truly Adeno-free colony probably does not exist. It is a foregone conclusion to them that their colony (and any other colony of considerable size) is infected.

They have offered to help financially support efforts by smaller breeders to attempt to develop and maintain an Adeno-free colony. And they offer a refund for beardies that test positive for Adeno after purchase. So all in all I think they're handling the situation very ethically. And as this is the only major "controversy" I've heard about them I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them.

Lunamatron

Juvie Member
I was just letting the OP know my experience while searching for a bearded dragon. My point simply was that disclaimer or not, they do not seem very concerned with the virus. The disclaimer simply protects them, it does not address the problem. They admit that it is likely that their BDs have the virus sice they say almost all colonies do, but why not test and remove the ones that test positive from the breeding program? Or offer to pay for the test if it comes back positive? This is how a reputable breeder should do business whether people blow AV out of porportion or not.

Their dragons are beautiful and the OP has a decision to make as to whether potentially receiving a BD with AV is acceptable or not.

I think I am going to test my other two dragons and see if it is infact blown out of porportion. If most, if not all colonies have AV then my babies would most definately test positive. My adult tested negative and came from a large breeder on the West Coast.

jeitzen

Juvie Member
So now you are calling them irreparable? Did you even read the information on their site? Now you are just jumping on a bandwagon and slandering a persons business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom