www.dachiu.com question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiskersmom

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
101dragons":1b382 said:
I think the whole "adeno" hype is very overrated !
We own currently 4 "Dachiu" animals, and we have no problems what so ever.
In total we breed appr.200 upto 250 baby's a year (obvious not with those four animals, we do own quite a few :wink: ) )
Without any problems ... funny a lot of people are so worried ... for no reason.

Oke ... so if your animal did test postive ... and then what ?
Nothing ..

Regards,

Sander

May I ask how old your beardies are?
I just lost my male beardie Whiskers to what my vet and I vehemently believe is a direct result of Adenovirus. He was three and had never, ever been unhealthy. I asked my vet point blank if he would not have contracted the virus would he be alive today and she said positively. So, no AV is not over rated, if anything it's under rated.
Now I may not have purchased my sweet boy from the Dachius but I did get him from another "big" breeder" with the same philosophy as the dachius...that AV is over rated and "all" dragons have it........but I know of dragons with terrible husbandry and is 6-7 years old, my boy had perfect husbandry and he's gone at the age of 3. So, that raises the question in my mind - do the older beardies that live in a less then stellar environment live longer because they are virus free? Or does the immune system of an infected dragon become effected to the point that even great husbandry can't stop them from getting sick and dying?
It's not fair and if I had to do it all again I would have saved myself from this horrible heart break and had bought from someone who at least had their parents tested. :(

101dragons

Off course you may ask how old they are.

On our website they are named :

The Dachiu breed animals :
Lucy (4,5 year old female)
Merinda (2 year old female)
Destiny (2 year old female)
Rosàrio (8 month old female)

We have sold two older females (both originating from the Dachiu's), because we didn't want to breed with them anymore, one is 5 years old, the other one 6. Both in perfect health.
It's a very sad and indeed a hartbreaking story you've posted.
But you said you and your vet "believe" it was due to Adeno you sadly lost your dragon.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but "believe" is not good enough for such a discussion.

All our animals are checked al least twice a year by the vet which i discribed in my previous posts (who is also consulted by two major zoo's on a daily base) so we take our hobby pretty serious.
Upto today we did not come across any problems except the usual which everybody comes across.

Best regards,

Sander

whiskersmom

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
101dragons":9701f said:
Off course you may ask how old they are.

On our website they are named :

The Dachiu breed animals :
Lucy (4,5 year old female)
Merinda (2 year old female)
Destiny (2 year old female)
Rosàrio (8 month old female)

We have sold two older females (both originating from the Dachiu's), because we didn't want to breed with them anymore, one is 5 years old, the other one 6. Both in perfect health.
It's a very sad and indeed a hartbreaking story you've posted.
But you said you and your vet "believe" it was due to Adeno you sadly lost your dragon.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but "believe" is not good enough for such a discussion.

All our animals are checked al least twice a year by the vet which i discribed in my previous posts (who is also consulted by two major zoo's on a daily base) so we take our hobby pretty serious.
Upto today we did not come across any problems except the usual which everybody comes across.

Best regards,

Sander

You're right, it is just a belief, but I know in my heart what it was that caused him to die.

I'm happy to hear that your dragons are all of a significant age and I truely hope that they live to be senior's.
Maybe it is such a grey issue with no clear answers,
I just think that if we test, we'll possibly get a leg up on this dreaded virus.

As for the OP, I think Dachiu has the most beautiful dragons I've ever seen. :D

*edited to add - I could quite possibly be wrong but shouldn't the OP be aware of what other people believe?

Thor's Mom

Sub-Adult Member
This thread has been reported for violating several rules of this forum... Please stick to the topic at hand, Adeno can be discussed in a separate thread!

Stick to the original question about whether you recommend the Dachiu's?

That post, immediately followed by a warning from a moderator to stay "on topic" is where I got the idea that we were not being allowed to discuss adeno on this thread from. If I was wrong, then I am sorry for the rant. In my mind the post coupled with the warning, implyed that we were not being allowed to discuss AV on this thread. Thank you for the clairfication.

***WhiskersMom*** I am so sorry to hear about Whiskers, that is heartbreaking. I had no idea.

whiskersmom

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Thank you for your kind words, Thor's Mom :(

I'm posting here solely as a member, not a moderator. I know that the OP didn't want opinions about AV but about Dachiu in general....I'm sure that is why the subject of AV came up. I think what is strived for in any of the threads is for members to stay on topic. If I've strayed over the line, I apologize.

Thor's Mom

Sub-Adult Member
I don’t think anybody has strayed off topic on this thread. The OP asked about Dachiu. Dachiu has AV in their colony, leaving it fair game for discussion. It is a hot topic with much controversy, so yes, it somewhat takes over the thread once it starts. That is natural. I have seen pleanty of positive opinions on Dachiu and the beautiful dragons that they breed, as well.

When I was new to bearded dragons, I had never heard of AV. Researching here and elsewhere brought it to my attention and I am thankful for that. It is up to the individual to decided where they stand on this issue and what risks they are willing to take or not take when purchasing from a breeder. Ultimately they are asking about the overall health and quality of the breeder's dragons, so AV needs to be discussed because some people truly believe or have seen that AV can affect that.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Thor's Mom":5b98c said:
This thread has been reported for violating several rules of this forum... Please stick to the topic at hand, Adeno can be discussed in a separate thread!

Stick to the original question about whether you recommend the Dachiu's?

That post, immediately followed by a warning from a moderator to stay "on topic" is where I got the idea that we were not being allowed to discuss adeno on this thread from. If I was wrong, then I am sorry for the rant. In my mind the post coupled with the warning, implyed that we were not being allowed to discuss AV on this thread. Thank you for the clairfication.

***WhiskersMom*** I am so sorry to hear about Whiskers, that is heartbreaking. I had no idea.

[Ok so being as I am the one who posted the warning let me clearly say that the only intention was to remind people to stay on topic and be civil.If the topic leads into Adeno(which I knew it would) then thats fine however on certain topics its easier for me to intervene with a polite reminder then to wait for things to evolve into a war.You will notice there were several comments about Adeno made after my post and they were left undisturbed.There is always room for healthy debate and no one is looking to change that.Hope that clears thing up for you and also if anyone ever have a question on why something is being done then please feel free to PM and discuss it with me/us.]

-Vicky

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
From what I was told, my beardie Foster's parents were both Dachiu dragons. Foster is beautiful in color, and hasnt had any problems (other than attitude :wink: ). I have not had him tested for AV though.
Have never dealt with Dachiu personally though, only a person who had their 2 beardies from there, and bred them.
So, I cannot comment on the customer service, only that my offspring of 2 of their beardies is a very pretty boy.

101dragons

After giving it some thought and after i've reed some received E-mail's :wink: it's better to leave the Adeno discussion as it is.

My personal expirience with Rob & Vickie is very good, what you see is what you get, no tricked photo's etc. etc.
I would recommend these breeders to anybody.

Sander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom