How many have had their BD go through BRUMATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbodkin

Hatchling Member
Being new to BDs I knew about BRUMATION but after reading the article posted here I am now freaked out about my BD going to sleep for a few months :shock:

I read not all BD do it and if they do they are all different ... So how many of you have had your BD got through BRUMATION?

LJean

Extreme Poster
Oscar does it. He starts out slowing down and sleeping more and more. Then he hides for a few months and doesn't come out for anything. It is pretty scary, always wondering if he is ok.

jbodkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHHHH ..... That is ... Hides as in goes to sleep and does not get up to eat or drink or poop ... For months :shock:

LJean

Extreme Poster
Yes, that would be it!

I poke at him often to make sure he is still alive and take him out once in awhile for a bath. ;)

caoimh

Hatchling Member
This is a topic i was extremely lost in too but i read the article posted and it really turns every stone for you and goes through every detail.

i thought Nando was going through Brumation because he became lethargic and slept but it ended up he had a mouth infection and his tiredness was due to him just ainly being under the weather, he is on meds now so hopefully he will be "super-nando" again and i hope is one of the ones who doesnt go through Brumation cus his antics just keep on making my day :D

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
Randal went through brumation for the first time last winter. She went to sleep in mid to late October and slept until spring (March I think? I don't quite remember when she finally woke up).

jeitzen

Juvie Member
Patas has brumated the last 3 years. She is already slowing down as is Spike. I think Lizzy is might not, but I do lower my light hours and temps in October so we will see.

jbodkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
WOW I just can not get use to the idea that my little guy is going to take a nap for 3 months and not be awake with me :(

binger

Hatchling Member
Ok... so since I *suspect* that my baby is going through the early stages now... what type of hide should I have set up for her?

There's a small cave in the corner of the tank, but it's rather small underneath. I've got a stone tile floor. Should I have a towel, sand, or something else for her to curl up in?

Chubz

can someone post a link where i can read up on this more, I didnt know it was that long of a period,,,

nevermind i just found the article ! lol

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
binger":774c5 said:
Ok... so since I *suspect* that my baby is going through the early stages now... what type of hide should I have set up for her?

There's a small cave in the corner of the tank, but it's rather small underneath. I've got a stone tile floor. Should I have a towel, sand, or something else for her to curl up in?

How old is your "baby"? Generally only adult dragons go into brumation, although younger ones may show a bit of a slow down.

When my dragon went into brumation she chose a corner of her tank and went to sleep. I found a cardboard box that was small enough to fit in her tank but large enough for her to fit into and put it into the tank upside down with a door cut out of one side (a cheap "cave" for her). I put down a nice soft dish towel in the makeshift cave and moved her into it (she was fast asleep at the time). My line of thought on this was that the "cave" would block out the light during the day and give her a bit more privacy and security while she slept. As far as the towel, it just made me feel better to have something soft for her to lay on. If your dragon is completely asleep, not coming out at all during the day you can just leave all of his tank lights off until he wakes up. The natural sunlight in the room should provide enough of a day/night cycle for him without disrupting his sleep.

binger

Hatchling Member
Catalyst":986e6 said:
binger":986e6 said:

How old is your "baby"? Generally only adult dragons go into brumation, although younger ones may show a bit of a slow down.

When my dragon went into brumation she chose a corner of her tank and went to sleep. I found a cardboard box that was small enough to fit in her tank but large enough for her to fit into and put it into the tank upside down with a door cut out of one side (a cheap "cave" for her). I put down a nice soft dish towel in the makeshift cave and moved her into it (she was fast asleep at the time). My line of thought on this was that the "cave" would block out the light during the day and give her a bit more privacy and security while she slept. As far as the towel, it just made me feel better to have something soft for her to lay on. If your dragon is completely asleep, not coming out at all during the day you can just leave all of his tank lights off until he wakes up. The natural sunlight in the room should provide enough of a day/night cycle for him without disrupting his sleep.

Sorry... I only use "baby" because we haven't been able to come up with a name for her yet... she'd be *about* a year old, give or take 3 months. (We adopted her and her tankmate from a friend... so we're not entirely sure on their ages).

She WAS eating daily, a mix of greens and bugs... now she's fairly uninterested in food... eating a bit of hand-fed veggies or 1-2 crickets every other day. She's pooping once every day or two, and she's still fairly feisty and energetic when I pick her up. In her tank, she's pretty docile and sleepy.

Being our first beardies, I've never seen a brumation. I could be overreacting, I just need to be sure! I was thinking about taking her to the vet for a stool culture and check-up, but if it's just brumation and I can save the $140, I will!

(from my brief experience, Ontario has a lousy selection of reptile vets and experts to talk to...)

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
Would your vet run the fecal sample without having the dragon come in for a visit? As long as she's been getting proper feeding, heat and UVB lighting, then the fecal test would clear her for parasites and you could rest a bit easier about her getting lazy and possibly getting ready to sleep. It's a bit early in the year here for brumation I beleive, but dragons tend to do their own thing anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom