Beardie Poo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lolly

Just a quick question bout poop :lol: My Beardie poops every day and they're BIG poops but what I want to know is a normal looking stool. Scooby's are mostly brown but always with a white bit, is this normal????

I know its a strange question but I want to know if its normal or not. Other then that he's perfectly healthy. :oops:

Denise Bushnell (RIP)

Juvie Member
Retired Moderator
Yes, it is perfectly normal! The white portion of his bowel movement is actually urates, which is the bearded dragon version of urine.

Because, in the wild, beardies don't really live in areas that have a lot of water, their kidneys have evolved, over the years, to be able to extract nearly every bit of moisture that their bodies take in. What is filtered out by the kidneys, therefore, is expelled as a white, chalky like, powder, rather than liquid urine!

Also, just as a point of note, if you ever notice that the white portion of your beardie's bowel movements are being expelled in a hard lump, rather than in powder form, that is one of the first signs that your beardie is becoming dehydrated, and is not taking in enough moisture These lumps are called urate plugs, and can sometimes be very difficult for them to pass, so if you notice this happening, make sure that you get more water into him! If your beardie refuses to drink for you, you can always give him a good soak in warm water for 20-30 minute to rehydrate him. Bearded dragons have the ability to absorb a certain amount of water through their vents, so giving them a 20-30 minute bath is an excellent way to make sure that they stay well hydrated!

Thats really good help. My beardie just had a pooh and was half white and half greeny/black and i was worried about the white part. But its good that the white part is common, i think i will bath my beardie tonight.

JerryBarie

Gray-bearded Member
Retired Moderator
greatone50":a01f0 said:
Thats really good help. My beardie just had a pooh and was half white and half greeny/black and i was worried about the white part. But its good that the white part is common, i think i will bath my beardie tonight.
Not only is it common, but it is expected.
And if your beardie is pooping every day, you have both my sympathies and congratulations! No chance of impaction - great. What veggies are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom