Best way to get stuck shed off

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Hey guys my beardie Chubbs has stuck shed in odd places for example his spikes on the side of his belly inner part of his front arms lower beard and in the creases of his shoulders (little dark flaps) I soak him 3 times a week so he gets most of it off but those parts seem to be troublesome and he will only put up with me rubbing/peeling his loose shed so much and im kinda at a loss to be honest and rather not pay $100 vet visit if its something I can do for him plus he doesnt like the vet stresses him out well both my beardies actually ?

Gail

BD.org Addict
After you soak him, rub a little olive oil onto the stuck bits. It can help keep the old skin from drying out and sticking worse.
Do that every day if possible. Doesn't need to be a lot of oil, just a thin layer.

Use a old toothbrush to scrub at the loose bits. If it doesn't come loose then its just not ready.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Gail":3dhs3bng said:
After you soak him, rub a little olive oil onto the stuck bits. It can help keep the old skin from drying out and sticking worse.
Do that every day if possible. Doesn't need to be a lot of oil, just a thin layer.

Use a old toothbrush to scrub at the loose bits. If it doesn't come loose then its just not ready.
My only problem is is that he bask a good chunk of the day I heard the oil will heat up and burn him I know his last shed he had a big bit on his tail I used coconut oil and it came off the vet said I had no need for the oil sense I'm giving him 3 bathes a week sometimes 4 I was thinking maybe I could use the oil at night when hes in his hide out away from the ceramic heat emitter I mean I could just not use the emitter at night could that possibly work????

Gail

BD.org Addict
Unless your house gets below 60 F at night, you don't need night time heat.
Oiling at night would be fine

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Gail":2b3txksr said:
Unless your house gets below 60 F at night, you don't need night time heat.
Oiling at night would be fine
I was doing 75+ degrees at night and close to 105 during the day (basking spot) and cool side is 75+ during the day but likes to hover around 80 though depending if i open their enclosure to let some fresh air in and in case they wanna come out but I honestly didnt know they could be ok at 60 at night I been doing it all wrong then ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom