Accidentally Fed One Superworm to my Baby Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

LocustOP

So today I ran out of dubia roach nymphs and needed to get food for my baby dragon (about 6 inches long with tail). So I went to PetSmart and Petco to grab temporary food untill my order of dubia nymphs and black fly larvae arrive. Without doing my research I picked up some Superworms and a few small spotted roaches because they were out of everything else. I got home and fed him one small Superworm that was around 1.5 inch long. I got a bit worried because it looked a bit big for him so I looked it up and realized babies are never supposed to eat them because it can cause impaction. I'm certainly won't feed him anymore but wanted to know if I should be worried about serious impaction or constipation. He hasn't eaten anything else today and doesn't seem uncomfortable or sick. He did only eat one but I'm just worried.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Make sure your basking temps are correct and being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer 105-110- one is not going to impact him - you can feed supers to babies but you want smalls and only feed a few -- proper UVB as well NO Coils please --

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Please post a picture of your baby dragon just so we can see how large he is. Hopefully,
just 1 superworm wont impact him. Increase his oral fluids & vegetation right now. Has he
shown any distress at all thus far?

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
One small superworm will be fine.

Their exoskeletons are softer than mealworms of the same size.

Don't make a habit of small supers though as they are addictive and too fatty.

LocustOP

Original Poster
111652-6827346263.jpg

This is him. No he hasn't been distressful and he ate some fresh collard greens and zucchini that I misted today. He hasn't pooped yet and his stomach looks full so I'm still concerned.

LocustOP

Original Poster
Nevermind right after I posted that he had a nice big healthy looking poop. His stomach is much smaller now. Thank you all for the information though.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He is pretty tiny but it sounds like everything successfully passed through then!
I'm happy that he is doing good now & didn't have any serious problems.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom