New Beardie Father w/ Concerns Looking for Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a couple weeks ago I adopted Amelia from a local PetSmart, from what I've read from several forums she's adapted really well to the move at least (no glass surfing, eating well, loves to play and go outside for walks on my shoulder). PetSmart told me she is 6mo old, I measured her from tip to tip (nose to tail) and she was 5.6in in length, and after just 2 weeks grew about another inch and a half and she's an even 7in now. She has the 40gal Thrive Bearded Dragon Terrarium Kit (with whatever that all implies). Ig I'm looking for advice on the proper tank set-up (ie. wether or not I need to cut the top to let in more rays, fully remove the top and just hang the lamps, should I give her sand to dig in or just stick with the substrate mat provided with the kit), potential growth expectations since she's still so small, and if there's an expert on Beardies reading this I'd love to be able to get in contact with you and pick your brain.

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Ameliatrystofly":138wergo said:
So a couple weeks ago I adopted Amelia from a local PetSmart, from what I've read from several forums she's adapted really well to the move at least (no glass surfing, eating well, loves to play and go outside for walks on my shoulder). PetSmart told me she is 6mo old, I measured her from tip to tip (nose to tail) and she was 5.6in in length, and after just 2 weeks grew about another inch and a half and she's an even 7in now. She has the 40gal Thrive Bearded Dragon Terrarium Kit (with whatever that all implies). Ig I'm looking for advice on the proper tank set-up (ie. wether or not I need to cut the top to let in more rays, fully remove the top and just hang the lamps, should I give her sand to dig in or just stick with the substrate mat provided with the kit), potential growth expectations since she's still so small, and if there's an expert on Beardies reading this I'd love to be able to get in contact with you and pick your brain.

Hi - and congrats on your new dragon! My girl is a Pet Smart baby beardie too. She’s not a bay anymore at 10 years - but she once was from there. It’s kinda hard to really trust their age estimates ... and dragons can def grow at different rates than others. At 5.5 inches, I would lean towards much younger than 6 months .... but I do feel chain stores will over estimate the age for numerous reasons - maybe so people won’t know they are selling them as young as they actually do. Blue, she was prob only a month old even though they told me she was more than that.

BUT - That’s great that she’s not showing much stress signs -
and you are first had seeing how FAST babies and juvies grow! It’s like - eat, poop, shed, eat, repeat ?

As far as the kit you got - I don’t know the specifics of it ... generally speaking they try to sell kits that - in my opinion - are full of much of the wrong things. SO - you are in the best place possible right now to get some really great advice from a lot of experienced people. Kudos!

The way I try to look at it is this:

They prob need one forever home - preferably 4x2x2 ... or as a basis for something similar to that. I use that as a basis to go off of. I truly believe a 40 gallon is too small - (for an adult - it’s a good size for your dragon now!) - but she will quickly outgrow it. I figure for an adult 75 being minimum and go up fro there - that size and up will offer room for a true temperature gradient to exist — a true hot/bask side - a comfy warm middle - and a true cooler side.

Lights - You need a UVA regular household or marketed basking bulb for a direct heat source - and a UVB aka “fake sunshine!” tube / linear light bulb - not a coil. These are the critical lights your dragon will need. The heat to bask and digest food - the UVB to survive life - to convert their food into the calcium their bones 100% need to develop and stay healthy (among other things) ... MBD is a very painful, sadly very common disease resulting in a lack of proper UVB - however it’s 100% avoidable which is the good thing.

Quality, proper lights and temps are the things you want to have 100% correct - because those two things will set the stage for most every health aspect of your dragon.
My UVB tube stretches half the tank - the side where her basking spot is - so she can get away from it if she wants to.

** what lights / brands do you age now?

If you choose to add another regular low wattage bulb on the other side of the tank for light purposes that’s cool- you just don’t want it putting out lots of heat).

Yes - if you have a mesh top - cut a strip out the length of the Reptu Sun or Arcadia 12% UVB tube. I personally use the T8 Repti Sun 10.0 ... some people opt for the T5 ... the difference in those is how far away those bulbs are placed. Back in the day like 10 years ago, the T5 wasn’t really on the scene as much as it now - the T8 is what most custom vivs were built to hold - so that’s the reason why I use the T8.

The screen can obstruct the rays - as well as any plastic that may cover the bulb, pop that off and let the light shine freeeeee so your dragon can get the full necessary effects. Removing the screen altogether is another option - and yes you can hang it across. That’s another plus of a custom viv - you don’t have to worry about the inconsistencies of having a wide open top - you can get those amazing front door/doors.

IF you can - I really suggest investing in a custom tank as a forever home - with all the light fixtures pre-mounted inside, and ya know I love a front sliding plexi glass door!! I purchased Blues custom 125 gallon forever home when she was 1 year old and it’s been perfectly amazing ever since. The guy that made mine collaborated with me online to make it just right ?. It’s an expense up front - but you won’t need to put any more money into set ups again! That can start to add UP.

As far as sand ... that’s a topic of debate.

I do not use loose substrate - it honestly scares me, i dont feel it’s clean, loose substrates can cause impaction - which can cause death - it can get in their eyes - etc ... they lick their surroundings and therefore they will ingest sand or walnut chips or pebbles etc. I use a slate like tile from Lowe’s I picked out 9 years ago. It was not expensive and best investment I ever made. I gave them the floor space measurement and they cut tiles of different sizes so I could lay them down and easily pick them up to clean. Super easy to clean, hold warmth but also can be cool when you need it to be, and will help keep nails down/trimmed. Very safe - and really attractive I think as a plus.

This is a personal choice - and there are people out there that choose sand or other loose stuff - but coming from my heart to you and your new babe - I always advocate for solid substrate. Tile isn’t the only choice - paper towels, newspaper, no adhesive shelf liner, etc.
Some people use solid substrate but have a smaller sand box in the viv - and if your female lays any infertile eggs she will want a dig box with that soil-y loose substrate (my girl has never laid fertile
or infertile eggs - so I don’t have experience with lay boxes)

Not sure if they told you - but females can lay clutches of them eggs even with zero male contact.

Good Thermometers are crucial too - I use a little stand up digital on both sides to measure the ambient / air temps and humidity ... and I use a digital temp gun (super cheap off Amazon) to take basking spot and other surface temps. You could also use a digital with a probe for that too. If using other kind of thermometers - like stick ons or such - be prepared for inaccurate readings - and knowing true temps is soooo important.

For a young dragon like you have - your temps will prob want to be higher then say - my adult temps. I have seen this vary as well .... for example her current old age actual basking spot surface temp range from her choice of 93 - 98 ... but when she was a bay and a juvie they were higher at 98 - 103. She prefers it not that hot anymore, but as a juvie or baby, she loved it toastier. The ambient on the hot side is in the low 90’s and the ambient on the cool side is around 82. Remember at night all lights go off - they like and need it nice and dark to sleep just like us, as well as cooler temps - and you definitely dont want to mess with any colour lights like red or blue - or any colour, just reg clear bright light for day and no light at all for night. ?

** What are your temps running at now?

Expect a lot of growth what feels like daily ? - it’s truly rewarding and they are amazing creatures!

What’s your girls name?

Any other questions? Food / diet questions? Hydration questions?

I’m really big on consistent oral hydration, it can tend to get overlooked with beardies, yet it’s so important - dehydration can easily be an issue with dragons and there are really good “delivery methods” to ensure your babe stays hydrated - I’m personally not a fan of water bowls in their viv - you never know if it’s getting utilized, it can get dirty quick, and sometimes in can raise the humidity level higher than optimal. That’s just me and my experience - but direct water delivery has always worked well for me and my girl (veggies, baths, and syringe/dropper drinking every other day) - I don’t just depend on one of those - I use all three. I’d be happy to share info!

Can’t wait to h at back from you!!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
viewtopic.php?p=1945606

Please read this and come back w/ questions ---- the above post is a good one between the two you can ask questions if you need too
I will say to go w/ the T 5 bulb -- its going to be better in the long run for a upgraded tank --- please do not get a fixture the same length as the tank --- usually 24 " fixtures are good unless your going for a tank thats over 48 long

Ameliatrystofly

Original Poster
Her name is Amelia because when I first got her she tried jumping to me from the handler (Amelia Earhart). Currently I believe I have a coil bulb and a weird oblong bulb (100w essential bulb and a 26w uvb both in 8.5in dome lamps), the grid on the top is like a weird metal mesh covered in what I think is black rubberized paint, could be plastic though. If someone could tell me how to upload a picture I'd gladly show you the set up and maybe you'd know more than what I'm trying to remember the package saying it contains. I added a tree thing (right under the heat lamp) she loves basking on instead of the top of her cave and a giant hammock in the corner that she climbs to the top of and sleeps on every other night (other nights she passes out in her food dish or on her tree). My stick on gauges I hope are wrong because they say it's only 90 on the hot side and 85 on the cool side.

Ameliatrystofly

Original Poster
KarrieRee":331zb2ve said:
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on the XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
I did it and it said successfully uploaded but I don't see it anywhere

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Hey!

So glad you came back and replied!

This is great first step - once you get those pics up we can start to help you get all the best equipment and goodies that lil Amelia (very fitting name) needs to be happy and healthy!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Click on the XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic -- it should post

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What brand is the 26 watt bulb--- if your going to keep the coil UVB make sure its the Reptisun brand and it needs to be unobstructed in a reflective dome of which I assuming it is w/ a distance of 6-8 inches directly underneath ----- it will need to be changed out in approx 6 months I recommend 5 --- I also recommend you switch it out to a long tube fixture like the 24" fixtures Zoo Med or Sunblaster or Arcadia w/ a 12% bulb or Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 T 5--- I am not a fan of coils and most are junk - the Reptisun 26 watt I have not heard anything about as of yet but the 13 watt is really NO good -- the piece you have in the tank can be laid down w/ the long stick part laying on the floor and the thick trunk part under the basking bulb -- I am not seeing any thermometers at all -- please get a digital probe thermometer and place on the spot where she basks leave 10 min or so get the temp - it should be 105-110 -- cool side of the tank 80's during the day and temps at nite 65-75 /w NO lights on -- cool and dark -- you can use stick ons for ambient temps -- but you MUST use digital for accurate basking temps --- if you need more help please ask

Ameliatrystofly

Original Poster
Sorry about the angle I have 2 stick-on thermometer/hygrometers in the back of the tank at the top of either corner. But they read about 95°-105° on the hot side and on 80-85 on the cool side during the day and since I keep it dark at night I honestly haven't looked at night because I read that it's not good to have lights on at night since Beardies eyes are (sensitive) to light. As for the brand of lights it just says Thrive on them. Also the humidity is at 35-40 hot side and 30-35 cool side (water dish is located on the hot side food dish is located on the cool side)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The Thrive basking bulb can be used as long as its keeping temps to what they need to be and is a bright white bulb -- the coil UVB get rid of it --- it is no good --- I would either get the Reptisun 26 watt or go w/ a long tube fixture and I would do this ASAP--- correct basking temps and UVB are the two most important thing in that tank - they control the overall health and behavior of the dragon -- please get Amelia's UVB corrected -- if you need help w/ the UVB please let me know and I can help -- the distance and placement has requirements so let me know what you decide to do

Ameliatrystofly

Original Poster
Absolutely I'd love the advice and just paid all the bills so Tuesday when I get paid I'll get a different uvb bulb and or fixture completely depending on what would be optimal for Amelia's growth and health. As far as her "room" (I'm not a fan of cages and such hahaha), I've seen several mentions of a 4×2×2, would that be optimal for her (after she gets a bit bigger I intend to place her room on the ground in her own bedroom with the front doors wide open for her to come and go as she pleases) and if so what would you recommend for the optimal set up (ie. room size, lights and light set up, you know the works)? Sorry if I'm asking a lot I'd just rather know than not know.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hers is some pictures of Cooper Dragons set up his dragon has free roam of the house -- to set up one room for her w/ her tank in it you would only need one set up
ucp.php?i=pm&mode=view&f=0&p=409798
You can PM him and ask him if you like -- but for now please decide on a Reptisun coil or a long tube fixture ---- then I can better help you w/ that -- but that needs to be addressed ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom