Trouble with the new baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarnelKelis

I just bought my baby this past Sunday and estimate that he is around three, maybe four months old. He had previously been returned to the pet store for feeding issues but they said he had been doing better for about two weeks. He appeared to be a bit older than all the other dragons they had available and due to a change in policy, I wasn't able to hold him before purchasing to see how he did with handling and what his personality was like. After bringing him home he seemed like he was adjusting fine. He did not particularly like being held the first two days but wasn't aggressive. His eating is normal, temperature - fine, humidity - fine, he has a hide, a place to bask, a dish for veggies and water, he has a custom hammock from Etsy on the way, etc. Yesterday I went to handle him (I have been doing short increments every day - about 15 minutes or so) and he was behaving aggressively and actually tried to bite me several times. My husband went to handle him this evening and the same thing, except this time he successfully bit my husband. We were shocked since he is so little and since it is pretty uncommon (or at least we thought) for bearded dragons to bite. I am wondering if the previous owner, before returning him, just failed to handle/socialize him. Is this normal? Not normal? A bad indication of his personality? I've had reptiles all my life but this is my first bearded dragon and I am pretty bummed that this is happening. I knew there would be some adjustment/apprehension for a while but didn't think there would be aggression or biting. Need some advice, please!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
This is normal behavior for them --- mine took months to get hand tamed and I was feeding him by hand holding for like 5 minutes at a time outside the tank --- take and put a piece of cloth or blanket w/ your smell on it in his hide -- just keep working w/ him -- its going to take time for him to acclimate to his tank and surroundings --- get some BSFL and use those to hand feed him www.symtonbsf.com then use them as a lure to the salad bowl use as many as you want DO NOT dust them they are a great staple feeder and are loaded w/ calcium- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Reptile-Ceramic-Leopard-Bearded/dp/B084VJJWTV?pf_rd_r=R0HNPKXJ2ZARWAT5MPAH&pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec&pd_rd_r=0173f98f-f39b-4d44-9f76-6ae4d88c419b&pd_rd_w=AuGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
I am going to stress this it is EXTREMELY important you MUST have correct basking temps NO stick ons for temp gauges digital probe thermometer -- NO COILS for a UVB and a bright white basking bulb for basking - NO COLORED BULBS NO SAND NO HEAT ROCKS OR MATS AND NO COILS FOR A UVB-- temps for a baby 105-110---

Gail

BD.org Addict
I'm going to suggest you stop handling him for a week or two. Give him a chance to get used to his new surroundings.
Stick with hand feeding and gentle touches but no picking up.

If he does act aggressive or bites, ignore it and continue with what you were doing. If he learns biting will make you go away, it will be harder to stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom