Beardie Neck Twitching

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZiggyDust

Hatchling Member
Hi! So the last 2 days I have noticed my 3.5 month old Beardie, Ziggy, has been twitching at the neck (see attached video below). Any ideas on why? I hope it’s not the start of MBD as I have been reading. They did just eat about 1.5 hours ago, not sure if it’s food related.

I have had Ziggy for 10 days and they have a 24” Reptisun T5 10.0 UVB over the basking spot. It is new and works. I did measure it with a solar meter. Temps on the warm side are 94°F to 99°F with the basking spot around 103°F to 113°F at the hottest. Ziggy does bask pretty much all day. Humidity is 21% to 43%. As far as supplements, Calcium by itself is 3Xs a week, calcium with D3 is 2Xs a week and a multi-vitamin the other 2 days.

The soonest I was able to schedule a vet appointment when I got Ziggy was for July 12th. If this is possibly the start of MBD, what can I do now to either stop it, as I’m assuming it can’t be reversed even at the early stages? Should I take Ziggy outside and get real sunlight? Should I dust their Dubia roaches more heavily with D3?

Any help or tips would be appreciated. I thought I was doing things right… ?

https://youtube.com/shorts/GHzGrACY8oI?feature=share

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Not sure what that action hes doing I will have some one here that might know take a look --- as far as the UVB at what distance is it at over the basking decor-- it should be 12-15 inches inside the tank --- if the screen is a fine mesh ---- if its on top and the screen is a wide hole type it should be 8-10 inches -- please make sure its proper placement the screen will block 30% of the rays -- and please start dusting the insects 5 x per week ONCE per feeding w/ the calcium D3 --- he should be getting vitamins as well w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding --

ZiggyDust

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":29xrpf4m said:
Not sure what that action hes doing I will have some one here that might know take a look --- as far as the UVB at what distance is it at over the basking decor-- it should be 12-15 inches inside the tank --- if the screen is a fine mesh ---- if its on top and the screen is a wide hole type it should be 8-10 inches -- please make sure its proper placement the screen will block 30% of the rays -- and please start dusting the insects 5 x per week ONCE per feeding w/ the calcium D3 --- he should be getting vitamins as well w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding --

Thank you for reply. The UVB is over the screen top and is about 10” from the basking spot. If I put inside it will be about 8” from my Beardie. I can get them another basking spot to make it 12-15”. I just need to find a way to mount it inside, that or cut out the screen so it isn’t blocked. I will increase their D3. The multi-vitamin I use does have beta-carotene.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So you can do either cut the screen or make another basking area of the 12-15 inches -- I have things you can use to mount w/ 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties-- fishing line - potted plant wire hangers or this stuff it works real good I use it in my tanks - its like a Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around your fixture
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Looks like she's just swallowing a bit of food that's left in her throat or sort of like a burp which is common.

ZiggyDust

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":33u9a6jw said:
So you can do either cut the screen or make another basking area of the 12-15 inches -- I have things you can use to mount w/ 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties-- fishing line - potted plant wire hangers or this stuff it works real good I use it in my tanks - its like a Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around your fixture
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195

I went ahead and cut the screen. This isn’t their permanent habitat. Their 4’ x 2’ x 2’ is on back order. I rather cut the screen now, as it’s an instant fix. Since I won’t be able to buy any those things till tomorrow evening. Don’t want to waste anytime making the needed adjustments.

ZiggyDust

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":10yogqnu said:
Looks like she's just swallowing a bit of food that's left in her throat or sort of like a burp which is common.

Ziggy has done it off and on. I am hoping that’s all it is. Would definitely make me worry WAY less.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
ok sounds good --- see if the eating changes color etc -- it should --

ZiggyDust

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2cwydey1 said:
ok sounds good --- see if the eating changes color etc -- it should --

Color has changed, for the better though. Ziggy’s tail and back are brighter, they have been shedding. So that’s normal. Eating has changed in the sense they are eating less. They were eating like the reptile store had been starving them. They still eat about 15+ Dubias per meal, 3Xs a day. Some of the Dubias are slightly bigger, so that could be the reason for eating “less”. They also have been eating their greens out of my hands, which hadn’t happened till today. So while things have changed, it seems to be for the better not for the worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom