I cut my Beardie's nails too short!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'm a new beardie mom, and I was cutting my beardies nails, and he ended up moving while I was in the process of cutting. I noticed that there was a little bit of blood. He doesn't seem to be in pain or even affected by it. There's as much blood as you would get from a paper cut. I'm worried. I tried corn starch and flour but it doesn't really work. Blood only comes out when it is squeezed.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
I haven't done this with my beardie, not brave enough to try on his nails yet, but I have had it happen with my parakeet. If it is only bleeding when you squeeze it, I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep an eye on it. (I used arrowroot on my parakeet, but that's not something most people have in their kitchen. It works in a similar fashion to the cornstarch or flour.) Get yourself a jar of styptic powder for the next time.

beardiemom123

Original Poster
hdochow":thif7lam said:
I haven't done this with my beardie, not brave enough to try on his nails yet, but I have had it happen with my parakeet. If it is only bleeding when you squeeze it, I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep an eye on it. (I used arrowroot on my parakeet, but that's not something most people have in their kitchen. It works in a similar fashion to the cornstarch or flour.) Get yourself a jar of styptic powder for the next time.

Oh great thanks, I used cornstarch, it seems like it slowed down a little bit.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
beardiemom123":2sgc2xvq said:
Hello, I'm a new beardie mom, and I was cutting my beardies nails, and he ended up moving while I was in the process of cutting. I noticed that there was a little bit of blood. He doesn't seem to be in pain or even affected by it. There's as much blood as you would get from a paper cut. I'm worried. I tried corn starch and flour but it doesn't really work. Blood only comes out when it is squeezed.

Don’t feel too bad, I’ve done it to so many of my pets on accident before. I’ve done it to my guinea pigs (they aren’t with us anymore unfortunately as that was many years ago), my sister’s parakeet, one of my dogs, and Mari. It’s just a common error that’s bound to happen & it doesn’t hurt them too much if you mess up and snip some meat off with their claw. It grows back and it will be sore for them for a while, but it’s a common mistake that even the vet techs make at my local vet.

As for a general rule of thumb, I don’t cut until the animal stops moving their foot long enough for me to see that I’m still about a millimeter from any pink lines in their nail. Sometimes they move right when I cut and that’s how I end up accidentally snipping their vein off with the nail. Like I said, it’s common and bound to happen to everyone who clips their pet’s nails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom