Advice on getting another beardie after not owning one..

Status
Not open for further replies.

DenilCartel

So I've had a bearded dragon before, however he died just under a year ago from kidney failure, but he was 18 years old and was very happy. I'm fully aware on how to raise and treat a beaded dragon, its just that the nee beardie I'm getting is a 4 year old female, so I imagine I will have to do things a bit different than what I did with my older male. Any advice?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Nope they all need the same care regardless of sex ---- females will lay eggs of course so you would need to set up a dig / lay box for her and there are people on here that can help w/ that --- just make sure your using a tube UVB - a bright white basking bulb and have digital probe thermometers -- if you need any more help please ask

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
DenilCartel":3hzu2imf said:
So I've had a bearded dragon before, however he died just under a year ago from kidney failure, but he was 18 years old and was very happy. I'm fully aware on how to raise and treat a beaded dragon, its just that the nee beardie I'm getting is a 4 year old female, so I imagine I will have to do things a bit different than what I did with my older male. Any advice?

Other than the possibility of eggs, I think that care is pretty much identical... you obviously took great care of your boy, so enjoy and have fun with your new lady dragon!

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Wow 18!?!! That is so amazing! Id love to see pics of your boy when he was up there in age in age if you ever feel like posting any or sending any ??!! Hats off to him and you! I sure that was really hard to handle - I’m so sorry. It’s also so wonderful too that he was able to live out that many years with you ❤️

My girl is 10 and half and I worry all the time about her age - she’s definitely slowed down in her activity levels since she hit the 10 year mark - but she seems to be in the same good health and I swear she gets more beautiful with time - seeing the words “18 years” was like a rush of hope for me.

As far as a female laying eggs - yeah - not all females will lay. My girl has never laid a single egg in her 10.5 years - so that’s one you’ll just never truly know until it happens or it doesn’t. I find it to be a super fascinating topic and would love to know the exact science behind the selection of why some do and why some don’t, maybe I should start a thread to get a poll going - that would be so interesting.

I hope you’re new dragon journey goes well! Female dragons are just so super special and I’m partial to them, so yay for you! Sounds like your last dragon was really taken care of, so I would pretty much do exactly what you did before!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom