Invasive reptiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
I’m going to Tampa in a few weeks and I’m wondering what I should do if I see an invasive reptile species there. Should I try to capture it or should I just leave it and call someone? I obviously won’t go after something like a Burmese Python, but if I see a tokay gecko (absolutely terrifying little dudes) I might be okay with grabbing it and holding it hostage until authorities can take it. I’m just wondering if authorities will kill it or if they just find an owner for it or something. I love animals and I don’t want to send them to their death even though they are destroying the environment as invasive species.

Also, iguanas are invasive, right? I’ve seen them before but I am absolutely not going to attempt to wrangle one into a burlap sack as I’d get very hurt by their tail slapping abilities.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You will love Florida, great weather, most of the time! We lived all over Florida for around 10
years. As far as invasive species, there isn't much you can do, unless it directly affects you or
is endangering someone in that area really. It is difficult to get someone there quickly enough.
Burmese pythons have become more numerous than in the past, as have the iguanas. Most
of the iguanas can inflict a bite or a tail whip.

Tracie

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
loljelloclowdz":2fu28zm9 said:
I’m going to Tampa in a few weeks and I’m wondering what I should do if I see an invasive reptile species there. Should I try to capture it or should I just leave it and call someone? I obviously won’t go after something like a Burmese Python, but if I see a tokay gecko (absolutely terrifying little dudes) I might be okay with grabbing it and holding it hostage until authorities can take it. I’m just wondering if authorities will kill it or if they just find an owner for it or something. I love animals and I don’t want to send them to their death even though they are destroying the environment as invasive species.

Also, iguanas are invasive, right? I’ve seen them before but I am absolutely not going to attempt to wrangle one into a burlap sack as I’d get very hurt by their tail slapping abilities.

You're definitely right about not going after anything that could harm you... even a tail whip is painful! I'm not sure what the authorities would do, honestly, about invasives... some organizations, like the ASPCA, might hold it and see if an owner comes forward, but animal control would probably just do away with it, sad to say. We don't have many invasives up here in Connecticut, but when we have to call someone about things like raccoons in the attic, they aren't allowed to relocate them - they have to euthanize. :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello

One request....take some pictures of any reptiles that you may see, that would be great!
Thanks & have fun.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Parks and Wildlife rangers ?

Council animal control ?

I live in Australia and typically invasive animal species are the domain of National Parks rangers and local council rangers .
if taken to a local vet , they usually put them to sleep.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Invasive or not , I am first and foremost a reptile lover!!! That being said, I could never call someone who is hell bent on destroying an entire species of reptile (hey, they didn't ask to be there)!!! Learn to live with it!!! It is "MAN'S" fault they are there not theirs!!!

Should you call??? That is entirely up to you but be warned..... They are put down not relocated or adopted out!!!!!

RichardR

Invasive or not , I am first and foremost a reptile lover!!! That being said, I could never call someone who is hell bent on destroying an entire species of reptile (hey, they didn't ask to be there)!!! Learn to live with it!!! It is "MAN'S" fault they are there not theirs!!!

Should you call??? That is entirely up to you but be warned..... They are put down not relocated or adopted out!!!!!
Except: invasive reptile species do not belong. The damage being done to local species and local ecosystems is sometimes irreversible. By all means, do what you can to remove any invasive you come across (iguana tastes like chicken).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom