Juvenile bearded dragon questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarnelKelis

Hey there! I just got a juvenile beardie and I have some questions! Please help? :)

should I turn off the basking lamp at night? The lady didn't tell me about the heat emitter sadly before I left the store...

what times should I feed the little one?

Any other info would be much appreciated!!! Thank you

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Dragons need a photo period of 12 hrs on and 12 hrs off ---- that means NO colored lights at all NO sand NO heat mats NO heat rocks -- and NO coils for a UVB ---- all these things I just mentioned are NOT good for your dragon -- PLEASE do not listen to the pet store people -- they have not a clue as to how to take care of dragons and will sell you stuff you do not need --- this is what you need
a Digital probe thermometer --- Stick ons are for ambient use only
Temps for basking need to be 95-100 --- place the probe on the spot he sits for basking 10 min then get the temp --- middle of the tank 90's and cool end of tank in the 80's -- NO lights on at nite dragons like it cool and dark temps should be 65-75---
A bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 105-110
And very important a UVB that is a tube fixture NO COILS --- you need a fixture like a 24" Zoo Med Sunblaster or a Arcadia --- w/a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb ---- this is for a tank that is 40 + gallon -- you can get this on http://www.pangeareptiles.com the Zoo Med fixture will come w/ a 5.0 bulb that can be used on tanks that are smaller size like a 20-30 gallon tank --- I dont know what size your tank is but if its smaller than the 40 I recommend that fixture --- you will need to upgrade the bulb when you get a bigger tank if this is the case -- let me know what size tank so I can help you - the 5.0 and the 10.0 bulbs have different distances and placement ---

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Yep! Lights go off at night. Unless the temps are dipping too low (under 65ish) ... you won’t need a heat source like a Ceramic Heat Emitter ... that’s what will put out heat but not light. Their consistent light / dark / day / night schedules are important to them - kinda like us humans - so no lights on at night - and no coloured lights at all. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom