Couple of Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heya, Ive had Kaida for a couple of weeks now. He seems to be getting fairly used to me now.

I was wondering though since I read they like to dig. At what age should I introduce a digging spot in his tank? Also what should I use that's safe?

Other question, how important is a water bowl if Im giving him fresh greens every day and baths once a week? As well as the occasional misting him and his spots he likes to lay at. Especially since hes shedding again right now.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
SquiggleWolf":340vmfbd said:
Heya, Ive had Kaida for a couple of weeks now. He seems to be getting fairly used to me now.

I was wondering though since I read they like to dig. At what age should I introduce a digging spot in his tank? Also what should I use that's safe?

Other question, how important is a water bowl if Im giving him fresh greens every day and baths once a week? As well as the occasional misting him and his spots he likes to lay at. Especially since hes shedding again right now.

When they stop running around and licking everything then you can introduce them to a play sand dig box. Don’t leave it in their tank and they will likely lick it, but since mature beardies don’t lick things all the time it’s a bit less risky. Babies on the other hand will literally lick everything so it’s not good to have sand around. Do not use walnut shell or calci sand, those are dangerous.

I’ve never seen Mari drink standing water, you don’t need a water dish. They just don’t like stagnant water and it raises the humidity too much in their habitat. Just providing crisp veggies every day along with appropriate insects will be enough hydration for them as they have adapted the ability to extract and retain as much water from food as possible. As a matter of fact, their urine comes out as a solid white urate log because they are so efficient at keeping water in their system.

Also don’t mist them, they are outback animals and don’t really appreciate it the same way that crested geckos do. They can actually get sick from a humid tank. From what I’ve experienced, people who mist their beardies actually end up with mildew growing in the tank, especially when they use reptile carpet and the paper backgrounds (I absolutely hate carpets, including the carpeted flooring in my car.).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Many keepers here in Australia swear that dry screened PLAY SAND is perfectly fine for bearded dragons even hatchlings - this I'm dubious about .

I'd suggest lining the floor of the young dragon's tank with kitchen paper towels , 2 or 3 layers, makes for very easy cleanup ( poos ) and my dragons love scratching at it (so do my bluetongues and water skink) ,and have been known to make paper towel beds and nests.

SquiggleWolf

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1360ryx8 said:
Many keepers here in Australia swear that dry screened PLAY SAND is perfectly fine for bearded dragons even hatchlings - this I'm dubious about .

I'd suggest lining the floor of the young dragon's tank with kitchen paper towels , 2 or 3 layers, makes for very easy cleanup ( poos ) and my dragons love scratching at it (so do my bluetongues and water skink) ,and have been known to make paper towel beds and nests.

Yeah I don't trust sand either lol. He currently has a shelf liner for his floor. I want to give him a little play in. I saw a post on here going over it at one point with some suggestions. But I can't find the forum on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom