stress marks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emilys

My beardie has been running around his tank with stress marks more frequently than usual. He is 4-5 months old and has an 80 gallon tank. He has a reptisun T8 across the top of the tank and his temps are 105 at the basking spot and 85 in the middle of the tank. He eats about 80-100 crickets a day plus a salad with collard greens. He gets calcium with D3 once a day and vitamins 2-3 times a week. He is getting a fecal done on Thursday to check for parasites. Am I missing something with husbandry? Or is he just bored? Here are the most recent pictures of him. He's about 14 inches and 108 grams. Thank you!

110937-8686235640.jpg
110937-1238425021.jpg

Ryanps

I’m pretty new but I do know a T8 needs to be pretty close even if it’s not placed across a screen. If it is across the screen he may not be getting much UVB. Just an FYI someone more knowledgeable is going to ask what that distance is in inches. I think its around 8” for the T8. You will also be asked about how temps are being taken. Stick on or probe. If your worried about parasites you will also be asked about the smell of his movements and how they appear. Are they different then they have been? They may also want to know what kind of substrate you have. Sorry I can’t be of more help as I’m not yet that knowledgeable but I do know this will be some of the questions asked! Good luck and I’m sure you’ll get some good insight soon.
-Ryan

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
First thing NO ENEMAS at the vet --- viewtopic.php?f=45&t=252267 they often end up in disaster
I would start w/ the UVB distance for a 80 gallon tank I recommend you upgrade to a T 5 -- you will need a whole nother fixture and I recommend a 24" fixture --- you dont want him hiding from the rays-- but the T 8 needs to be 6-8 inches directly above your basking decor -- if its higher than the 8" this could be a cause for stress marks -- hes not getting enough UVB -- we will start there

emilys

Original Poster
The UVB is 6 inches away from him at the highest point of his tank. His tank is only 18 inches tall so I worry about the t5 being too intense for him. He has 36 inches for the T8. Temps are being taken with a probe thermometer placed in his hammock at his basking spot. His bowel movements look ok but have a strong enough smell that my boyfriend noticed it from the room next door. I will double check that he won't get an enema. I will say no if they recommend it. This is his current set up. The hide and the hammock are both within 8 inches. Thank you!
110937-1577012469.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Sounds like he might have parasites / worms --- take a fecal in ---- NO Enemas like I said you tell them NO Enemas ---- if your BF could smell it from another room that would be my first guess -- what about consistency--- is it real runny? The T 5 would not be too strong for a 18 " high tank ---- distance would be 12-15 inches --- what does the screen look like on your tank ? Fine mesh like a screen door? or a wide hole type ?

emilys

Original Poster
It's a fine mesh. The poop is a tad runny but still maintains its shape. It's solid poop that comes out with a ton of water. He's always been a bit smaller while still gaining weight, so I'm thinking parasites might be the issue. Could they be causing the stress marks? He doesn't have them quite as much while basking.

emilys

Original Poster
We just got back from the vet and he said he looks great. His growth is perfect and his body condition is what it should be. He's not too concerned about parasites since the poop looks fine and there are no other signs, but he is running the fecal to be safe.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so hes good then for distance on them-- you actually only need one of those T 8's in your tank--- does he sit under both of them and he doesnt try to hide from them does he? They do need to be able to get out of those rays w/ out hiding from them --- make sure your changing that T 8 out every 6 months I recommend every 5-- and there is NO clear plastic cover over those bulbs too correct?

emilys

Original Poster
No plastic. And there's a reflector. He likes to spend time on both ends of the tank so I wanted to be sure he got enough. He doesn't hide. He has some spots under his hide and under his hammock to get out of the UVB when he wants and he takes advantage of those spots occasionally. But he definitely basks on both ends.

emilys

Original Poster
His fecal came back positive for pinworms. The vet is going to have meds ready for him tomorrow so hopefully he will seem a bit better soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom