What to do for feeding while at work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarac

Hi everyone. I’m just curious what you all do for feeding your beardies while you’re at work. I have a small bowl that I put BSFL in, but she won’t eat it. I work 10-12 hour shifts so sometimes she’s not even awake and then goes back to sleep before I’m even back. I’m just curious what everyone else does to get them eating. She’s only about 6mo old so she’s still eating mostly bugs. I’m wondering if I just have to change her sleep schedule to go with my work schedule. Let me know if you have any ideas! Thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please start feeding salads NOW you want your dragon eating them -- take the BSFL and add to the salads on top --- you said shes not eating them? Odd most of them like them -- you can get some dubia roaches from here www.dubiaroaches.com and get a bowl like this or similar to
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Reptile-Ceramic-Leopard-Bearded/dp/B084VJJWTV?pf_rd_r=R0HNPKXJ2ZARWAT5MPAH%E2%A6%81&%E2%A6%81pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec%E2%A6%81&%E2%A6%81pd_rd_r=0173f98f-f39b-4d44-9f76-6ae4d88c419b%E2%A6%81&%E2%A6%81pd_rd_w=AuGQB%E2%A6%81&%E2%A6%81pd_rd_wg=tLkwE%E2%A6%81&%E2%A6%81ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
You can leave roaches in the bowl w/ the salad-- feed first thing in the morning - when you get home offer roaches again do not dust the second feeding - I would get some super worms and add to the tops of the salad 1-3 use those as lures to the salad bowl as well https://flukerfarms.com/crickets-live-feeder-insects/ feed only the BSFL and worms and salad first thing BEFORE adding the roaches - you want her eating some of that salad -- add the roaches before you leave for work - shes going to need to warm up before you feed the salad etc so I would get her lights on about an hr before you want to feed her -

sarac

Original Poster
Sorry I didn’t give enough info. I feed her salad every day and leave it out for her while I’m at work too. She eats the salad. She eats BSFL when I feed it to her, just not when I leave it in a bowl. I was thinking of doing dubia too, but with the amount that she eats I’d be spending like $70. I also thought superworms but she’s still only 6 months old so I get worried about impaction. I was more just curious if there are better ways to attract her to the food since I already have a bowl that doesn’t allow the feeders to escape and she still won’t eat it

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Dubias are more filling than most insects- bsfl are a staple feeder but she should be eating like 50 or more- I would supplement w/ dubias- she would eat about 7 or so given the correct size- I think blaze was eating like a 5/8-3/4 inch roach at 6 months-- I was feeding supers BSFL dubias silk worms- not all at the same time w/ the silk and dubias- those were alternated - silks are good cuz the stick to everything and usually stay in the bowl--

sarac

Original Poster
Ok thanks. Maybe I just need to order some bigger dubia and get a larger bowl. My bowl is pretty small. In the past 2 days I’ve worked 10 hour shifts, meaning I was gone for the entire time that I usually feed her. She wakes up at 8 and I feed her between 10-6 and then lights off at 8. So it’s definitely a problem if she isn’t really eating from the bowl. But thank you I’ll order it soon.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
sarac":2mqidt5b said:
Hi everyone. I’m just curious what you all do for feeding your beardies while you’re at work. I have a small bowl that I put BSFL in, but she won’t eat it. I work 10-12 hour shifts so sometimes she’s not even awake and then goes back to sleep before I’m even back. I’m just curious what everyone else does to get them eating. She’s only about 6mo old so she’s still eating mostly bugs. I’m wondering if I just have to change her sleep schedule to go with my work schedule. Let me know if you have any ideas! Thanks

6 mnths old , 2 meals of live insects per day needed. I'd try to feed dragon before leaving for work and again on return , even if you have to wake the dragon up before sunrise. Get into regular feeding routine and they soon adapt to the feeding and handling ritual - a predictable routine makes for a very happy pet dragon.

Can you set the light timer to come on 1 hour before yo usually leave for work ? set it for lights on for 15 to 16 per day, make sure the heat globe is either controlled by a simple on off thermostat with it's probe at the basking spot ( if you are in USA you are moving into hot weather , and heat waves are possible in some areas .
I like these for simple thermostat control
ebay-cheap-thermostat.png

- very reliable & cheap and I have them in all my skink and dragon tanks.
temperature-response-of-p.png

YOU DON"T WANT THE BASKING SPOT to get hotter than 40 degree F for an extended period.

My suggestion on good feeders to leave in tank while at work
>> BSFL in a porcelain worm escape from feeding bowl , at least 20 , this way you count the left overs when you get home and know how many have been eaten , like this bowl ( you can find them on Ebay )
tip1 : make sure the inside of the bowl is dry else the BSFL will escape
tip2 : make sure the BSFL are dry else they WILL escape.
26oct2018-gutzy-visit.jpg

>> silkworms on some mulberry leaf ( a 6 month old should be able to handle worms as large as 2 inches long , so half a dozen of them ( in the cool end of the tank - the heat will kill them or cause them travel ) , if dragon eats some mulberry leaf that's fine , they are highly nutritious and Ca/P > 10.
>> some salad in a separate bowl

sarac

Original Poster
Thanks for responding. So unfortunately I don’t have a normal work schedule. I work at an emergency vet hospital. Some days I’m out of the house at 6am and some days I’m working until 2am. It depends on the day, and this month I’ve been getting my schedule week by week. I will try to wake her up earlier to eat. Sometimes she refuses to eat before I go especially if she needs to poop. Its a pretty unfortunate circumstance but luckily it’s only for this summer. I think a large dish with dubias and BSFL may work well, especially if I at least get one feeding in either before or after work.

And I appreciate all of the other stuff you said. I’ve been on here a few times to check how I was doing with her. She is very well taken care of! And she’s doing very well. Her appetite isn’t down at all, i just think that she likes to be hand fed or see the bugs moving. She’s a little lazy lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom