EMERGENCY

Status
Not open for further replies.
111246-6870550387.jpg
111246-1505255942.jpg
111246-1616874719.jpg
Hello! This is my first time posting on this website and am in very much need of an answer and some help. I’ve called all my local exotic vets and am unable to find any openings, even for emergency visits.

My Beardie is a 6 year old female. I woke her up this morning to find that she’s pooped herself in her sleep and her beard and tail are pitch black. I’ve never seen her like this before. I put her in a warm bath where she pooped a little bit but kept her eyes closed and hardly moved. I’ve also noticed that when she does open her eyes, theyve lost all color. She’s typically orange and very alert. She’s white and black and it’s very scary to have no help at all. I’m afraid she’s dying or something else might be happening. Any advice or reassurance helps.

I’m new to this app so I’m not sure how to post pictures. I have many pictures of her in this state though and will post ASAP if I find a way.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Does the tail have a nip or injury to it -- from the pic it looks like it does -- please post a better pic of it and it looks from the pic I see could be tail rot and infection moving up the tail --- if so she needs to get into the vet ASAP---- go here to this website and find a vet in your area
www.arav.org
Please post a pic and try and find a vet from the website I posted and let us know if you do please

HollyMarie

Original Poster
111246-9963576775.jpg
111246-6255944706.jpg
KarrieRee":2mw4cn7w said:
Does the tail have a nip or injury to it -- from the pic it looks like it does -- please post a better pic of it and it looks from the pic I see could be tail rot and infection moving up the tail --- if so she needs to get into the vet ASAP---- go here to this website and find a vet in your area
http://www.arav.org
Please post a pic and try and find a vet from the website I posted and let us know if you do please

She has had an injury recently and I was very concerned about tail rot. I’m in a tight situation as I have no car and I depend on my parent to bring to a Vet. I’ve been calling around and have been trying hard to get my mother to bring her to a vet. She only now realized how serious it is because of this morning.

Please let me know if you think this is indeed tail rot. And if it is, is her beard black because of this also? And has she been this sick because of it? Thank you in advance.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If you pinch the end of it does she flinch? If not its dead at the end--- I have flagged the post to AHBD she can tell better than I but I wanted more pics and you said she had a recent injury to the tail its possible thats whats going on---- Is the tail black underneath and yes it would make her sick

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry your girl is not well. How long ago was the tail injury ? That would almost never cause such a quick decline and severe stress. The dark beard + tail are from stress .Sometimes it's the kidneys or something very sudden, but getting her to a qualified reptile vet ASAP for a blood test is key. I know that's what you're trying to do, so keep calling. Best wishes, just let her rest in her tank now.

HollyMarie

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1pth8xeh said:
If you pinch the end of it does she flinch? If not its dead at the end--- I have flagged the post to AHBD she can tell better than I but I wanted more pics and you said she had a recent injury to the tail its possible thats whats going on---- Is the tail black underneath and yes it would make her sick

She doesn’t flinch. Thank you so much for caring and giving me this information. We called at least 10 different vets but finally found one that will take her as an emergency. We’ll arrive in about thirty minutes and will update you if you’d like on what they say.

HollyMarie

Original Poster
AHBD":3it32dhm said:
Hi there, sorry your girl is not well. How long ago was the tail injury ? That would almost never cause such a quick decline and severe stress. The dark beard + tail are from stress .Sometimes it's the kidneys or something very sudden, but getting her to a qualified reptile vet ASAP for a blood test is key. I know that's what you're trying to do, so keep calling. Best wishes, just let her rest in her tank now.

About two weeks. She was just fine yesterday, roaming around the house and eating fruit. I would have never thought about her kidneys. Thank you so much for the info!! I have her wrapped in her blanket and am on the way to a vet.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, good that you're getting to a vet ! Be sure they do blood tests, get a copy or make sure they send it to your email and post the results here. My guess is some type of organ failure or even possibly a tumor. It may be something much less serious though so blood test will tell you a lot.

HollyMarie

Original Poster
AHBD":wmn6738l said:
O.K, good that you're getting to a vet ! Be sure they do blood tests, get a copy or make sure they send it to your email and post the results here. My guess is some type of organ failure or even possibly a tumor. It may be something much less serious though so blood test will tell you a lot.

I’ll make sure they do! They just took her in. Thank you so much, I’ll update you guys soon!

HollyMarie

Original Poster
AHBD":wdbtg7d3 said:
O.K, hang in there !

They just came back and her body is shutting down. I’m in tears right now and I don’t know how to handle this. I thought it was just tail rot. She’s been my girl for so long and now I have to say goodbye. Thank you guys for all your help and I’m sorry to say that this is what it’s come down to.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am so sorry --- tail rot would of been easier to fix but the body shutting down is not good - why is her body shutting down? What is going on w/ her? What have they advised?

HollyMarie

Original Poster
KarrieRee":17e6tva1 said:
I am so sorry --- tail rot would of been easier to fix but the body shutting down is not good - why is her body shutting down? What is going on w/ her? What have they advised?

They said her organs are failing and that she was trying to tell us that it’s time. When I saw her to say goodbye she didn’t even look like herself. She was so white and her eyes were colorless.

She said that reptiles were good at hiding illness until it was too late. I can comprehend how this happened, I don’t understand at all and I’ve never been so upset.

HollyMarie

Original Poster
HollyMarie":749pwxqf said:
KarrieRee":749pwxqf said:

Do you think it could’ve been the tail rot? It’s only been like that for two weeks.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh wow, I'm so so sorry. :cry: This is truly devastating for you and my heart breaks for you. I had a suspicion that's what it was because that intense black tail + beard in her situation is often the sign. All I can do is offer my deepest sympathy, you were a great owner to her and this happens quickly with reptiles, nothing you did wrong at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom