Possibly getting a new bearded dragon soon, advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
So my local small pet shop is getting baby beardies from a new breeder this Tuesday.
I'll be going to look at them.
I need some advice to try and do better with this one...
What would the best staple feeder insect be and where can I order them from?
Also its a possibility that I'm going to be going on a big road trip and I don't really want to have my Bearded at a pet sitters or left at home, I'd like to possibly take it with me.
Should I get a much smaller travel tank? The one I have had is kinda huge, should I just get a smaller one in general to replace the huge one?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
No keep your bigger tank --- I would feed dubiaroaches they are a better staple feeder -- www.dubiaroches.com -- the travel thing I am going to let CooperDragon answer that question

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
My personal favorite staple feeder is dubias, but variety is the key. For a baby, you might want to start off with large BSFL, which are so naturally high in calcium that you don't have to dust them. I always ordered from PhoenixWorm.com - a bit more expensive than others, but I really liked the quality I got from that breeder.

I don't know diddly about traveling with a dragon, though, so I'll have to defer to someone else for that advice. Good luck with your new baby! :)

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hey people thanks for the ideas.
Aren't large solder fly larva kinda big for a baby dragon?
I'll also be getting some small crickets when I get the baby

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
reptilemaster":q5oouo44 said:
Hey people thanks for the ideas.
Aren't large solder fly larva kinda big for a baby dragon?
I'll also be getting some small crickets when I get the baby

Nope - BSFL are really, really small... too small for full grown dragons, really, since they would need to eat huge amounts of them! :)

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
ComicBookMama":wr0i547h said:
Nope - BSFL are really, really small... too small for full grown dragons, really, since they would need to eat huge amounts of them! :)

Alright sounds good then

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I go on road trips with my dragon all the time. Not all dragons are good with long car rides though. Best to wait a bit for them to get a little older then do some trial runs around town and see how that goes. I would get a pet carrier for the car like this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EW2WKZU/
You can use it in the car (it straps onto a seat belt) and it can also be used as travel housing. I would get a dome fixture and good mercury vapor bulb as well as an adjustable lamp stand that you can set up where you're going (and in hotels etc). Black soldier fly larvae are good to carry with you for food because they're easy to keep in a car. Good to have cleaning supplies on hand such as vinegar spray, F10 disinfectant, paper towels, and plastic bags.

This is a typical travel setup that I use.
76248-2473803661.jpg

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2ouwpqpa said:
I go on road trips with my dragon all the time. Not all dragons are good with long car rides though. Best to wait a bit for them to get a little older then do some trial runs around town and see how that goes. I would get a pet carrier for the car like this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EW2WKZU/
You can use it in the car (it straps onto a seat belt) and it can also be used as travel housing. I would get a dome fixture and good mercury vapor bulb as well as an adjustable lamp stand that you can set up where you're going (and in hotels etc). Black soldier fly larvae are good to carry with you for food because they're easy to keep in a car. Good to have cleaning supplies on hand such as vinegar spray, F10 disinfectant, paper towels, and plastic bags.

This is a typical travel setup that I use.
76248-2473803661.jpg

Ok, thanks for the advice. I am going out to look at new baby beardies today, don't know for sure if I'll get one

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It may also be an option to adopt an older dragon (who may be better with travel) if you look around locally for someone looking to re-home a dragon. Take time to think it through though, caring for a dragon is not something to rush into. If you have any other questions please feel free to post in the forum whenever you'd like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom