Help with beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danjw91

Long story short. I got my beardie towards end of march, she is 5 and 6 in September. Previous owner said she never laid eggs etc.

I first got her and she didn't poo for a week then started settling in and had a poo twice maybe three times a day.

I changed her Viv to a 4ft-2ft-2ft mid April. I noticed a small lump left lower side of belly so took her for health check and vet said she seemed healthy etc but wanted to do ultra sound on the lump... Did that and said could be egg etc which I was a bit like "hmm, weird as she hasn't had eggs from what previous owner said". He got me to also buy liquid calcium with d3 and I was suggested by a moderator on FB group who is experienced that with that, UV and the powders I give will be too much so don't use liquid.

Anyway, vet wanted me to come back in 2 weeks to do another ultra sound (£80) if she hasn't laid eggs. I got told if can't so a dig box, not to worry as she'll lay her eggs if she does have them and needs to (I used habistat bedding).

Since being the vet she was ok, 3 XL locust (hoppers) turned to adult which she seemed to eat fine but a few days later her behaviour changed. Not pooing as she did, not glass surfing etc. She did a big poo one day then next she didn't poo at all and has seemed 'spaced out'. I put her in bath and massage belly and she had a massive poo.

Still she is acting weird, I weighed her 3 weeks ago and she was 384g and now she is 440g, she then had a poo and went to 420g. Her belly is a lot bigger, and she isn't as she was before the adult locust but might not be them but did come on after eating them.

Her temps are good, she has proper lighting and always daily clean her Viv or check it and spray decor down once a week unless been poo'd on. Deep clean and replace substrate every 6-8 weeks. She eats her salad but lately she has been eating a lot more than previously, she still eats her bugs.

Just really weird she has gone.

Any help please. Also I am doing a fecal test as I've got samples and taking on Monday as vet told me to collect a few and hand in within a week.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That does sound like she may be gravid. Not all of them wind up laying eggs, but it's good to be prepared for. The first ultrasound didn't show definitive signs of egg development? If the shells are formed then sometimes an x-ray can show them too, but they should show up on an ultrasound. It's good that she is still eating well. I would keep an eye on her fat stores along the base of her tail and at the top of her head. Sometimes if those start to look depleted, it's a sign that she is using resources to develop eggs. They can lay eggs outside of a lay box, but they seem to like the damp sand/soil tunnels to dig in. Something soft that allows for burrowing can work too. Fleece blankets or a pile of fleece scraps perhaps. Sometimes they'll just lay them on the floor of their enclosure though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom