Beardie doesn't know how to drink water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camously

Hey I don't know if this is weird but I've literally never seen my beardie drink from her water bowl for the last almost 2 years I've had her I still keep it in there to help with air moisture and such but she gets all of her water from me adding it to her greens I was just wondering if this should be a concern or not and if I can how to teach her to drink the water

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
No concern most dragons do not drink from bowl - unless you actually need the moisture in the tank I would take it out- humidity should be optimal 30-50% and you should be reading from a digital probe hygrometer -- placed on back center tall of the tank -- it will read the whole tank

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Mari hasn’t had a drink since she was about 5 months old and she’s 18 months old now. Their veggies are their water source.

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
I have really come to depended on syringe/dropper water delivery for hydration. If I drop some water on her nose about every two days - she will began to drink from that and she stops when she’s done - she stops licking. For the days I’m not doing this direct oral hydration, I definitely hope that her greens and her feeders supply some water for her - but I don’t rely 100% on that b/c there are always some days when dragons may not want to eat / isn’t interested in food that day - I think this is especially true for senior dragons like my girl, as they start to naturally slow down a bit.

I do not use a water bowl in her viv - for the main reason it would just sit there and she would not drink from it. I also used to fully rely on her baths for hydration - either her drinking from her bath or vent water absorption - but I feel like I’ve seen information on forums that vent water absorption may be “iffy” in recent years ... (that could be accurate, might not be, idk for sure?) so I really do maintain her hydration through direct delivery.

It might be worth a try to offer your dragon water this way ... at first she seemed to be like - what the hell - but now, it’s a routine that she has become very familiar with and readily laps up the drops now. My girl is 10, and I did not start this method consistently until she was about 8 years old ... so it was very new to her at first - having lived out the majority of her life without it! I just know hydration truly is so important - and I feel it can get overlooked a lot. Perhaps it’s something just makes me feel better that I can visually measure and know for sure the amount of water she’s getting? Either way - it seems to work well for both of us! ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom