Beardie doesn't know how to drink water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camously

Hey I don't know if this is weird but I've literally never seen my beardie drink from her water bowl for the last almost 2 years I've had her I still keep it in there to help with air moisture and such but she gets all of her water from me adding it to her greens I was just wondering if this should be a concern or not and if I can how to teach her to drink the water

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
No concern most dragons do not drink from bowl - unless you actually need the moisture in the tank I would take it out- humidity should be optimal 30-50% and you should be reading from a digital probe hygrometer -- placed on back center tall of the tank -- it will read the whole tank

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Mari hasn’t had a drink since she was about 5 months old and she’s 18 months old now. Their veggies are their water source.

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
I have really come to depended on syringe/dropper water delivery for hydration. If I drop some water on her nose about every two days - she will began to drink from that and she stops when she’s done - she stops licking. For the days I’m not doing this direct oral hydration, I definitely hope that her greens and her feeders supply some water for her - but I don’t rely 100% on that b/c there are always some days when dragons may not want to eat / isn’t interested in food that day - I think this is especially true for senior dragons like my girl, as they start to naturally slow down a bit.

I do not use a water bowl in her viv - for the main reason it would just sit there and she would not drink from it. I also used to fully rely on her baths for hydration - either her drinking from her bath or vent water absorption - but I feel like I’ve seen information on forums that vent water absorption may be “iffy” in recent years ... (that could be accurate, might not be, idk for sure?) so I really do maintain her hydration through direct delivery.

It might be worth a try to offer your dragon water this way ... at first she seemed to be like - what the hell - but now, it’s a routine that she has become very familiar with and readily laps up the drops now. My girl is 10, and I did not start this method consistently until she was about 8 years old ... so it was very new to her at first - having lived out the majority of her life without it! I just know hydration truly is so important - and I feel it can get overlooked a lot. Perhaps it’s something just makes me feel better that I can visually measure and know for sure the amount of water she’s getting? Either way - it seems to work well for both of us! ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom